Grab the clutch.. and the bike stays in gear??

Luke4554

"PureBred Fabrications"
Reaction score
Ok ive seen a few threads here about clutches not disengaging but im kinda having the opposite problem. Ive got my bike to the point in my build now that im double checking a bunch of stuff before i tighten up all the loose ends. I dont have oil in the case right now so i dont know if that makes a difference or not but heres whats up. When i have the bike in neutral it rolls fine. Pop it in gear (with my foot only) and it catches fine. When i try and pull back the clutch and roll the bike the gear still catches. My clutch feels nice and tight and ive played with the adjustment on the left case side. Everything appears normal. Im almost positive that i havent lost the bearing and its still inside the case where its normally located. Is there any easy way to extract that middle bearing just to double check that it is actually there. I used a flashlight and i think i can see it but its hard to see obviously. Any suggestions? is there anything i should check on the right side? I took the right side case cover off about 2 months ago for paint but i didnt do anything else to the internals.

Kinda stumped.. wanna fire this thing this weekend if i can.. im sick of looking at it on the stand.

Luke:thumbsup:

Put oil in it why fiddle with an empty sump?

The ball between the small pushrod and the internal pushrod? Small telescoping magnet. There's also a ball inside the cam acuator that the cable attaches to check that. Lastly when you adjusted the clutch did you back off all the slack at the clutch lever first and then lighlty turn the adjusting screw at the side case and back it off 1/4 turn and lock it down? Readjust the slck at the lever with 5mm 1/4" of free play.

If everthign checks out start it and put in ger pul in and hold clutch and rock it back and forth mostly back and it should free up stuck plates.

ok. yeah i didnt have any oil in it yet cause i wasnt sure if i was going to need to remove the right cover again to inspect things. I guess ill put some in there. I never did check that ball bearing in the left side case cam actuator, im wondering if ive let that one drop out that could be the culprit.

Luke

May be a good idea to check the alignment mark before you put the oil in. Was having the same problem, alignment was off. Corrected it and put some fresh oil in and I haven't had problems since.

Did the clutch/motor run fine before you got into your build? A dry clutch that sits for a while can get pretty rusty and stick hard. Also, that ball can roll out a keep going without notice if you lean the bike left, like on a kickstand. If you have tight action on the cam to pushrod it should be there though. When missing you run out of range to get the right adjustment.

Try rolling the bike with some force and popping it in gear to see if it frees up. And get some oil in there. Be careful when you try to start it and engage the tranny. Have the front wheel pointed away from anything you like or jam it against the wall to be safe.

Yeah the bike ran before i tore it down.. not great but the clutch worked. As for leaning it the bike was vertical the whole tear down because i had it chocked on my frame bench. The one im more worried about is the chance that the bearing in the side case has fallen out because that one i have had off and moved around several times. Ive never adjusted this clutch before so ill have to play with it to make sure i just dont have it out of adjustment but it does feel normal not mushy or too tight. The bike has only been sitting dry for maybe 5 months.

Ill have to check in the next day or so i guess.. tonight ill be jammin out to nugent because of a free ticket i scored from a friend haha.. so maybe tomorrow. Im hoping its just that ive lost the bearing.

Ah, Nugent. My old Nova with the 12" woofers and 16" tweeter horns and 200 watt Craig Power Play. Strangle Hold.

The reason I can't hear anything these days.

Even with all the parts in place, clutch properly adjusted. It won't roll to well in gear and the clutch lever pulled. If you need to push it around put it in neutral.

Even with all the parts in place, clutch properly adjusted. It won't roll to well in gear and the clutch lever pulled. If you need to push it around put it in neutral.

Ok good to know.. i just wanted to make sure the clutch was going to function properly. I didnt know it may still not roll well in gear

Back