Grabby Clutch

Paul Carr

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi
I just put my tracker on the road
The clutch seems to have a good smooth pull but is grabby , that is, I let it out it does not grab right away then it does

Its not slipping

When I built the bike I put on a new cable, new clutch rod , new springs , checked the plates to make sure they were not warped or warn ,, made sure the pressure plate mark was aligned

I am at a bit of a loss

As always thanks

Paul

Paul, that sounds like an adjustment issue that I had. I had too much slack in the cable, and my bike's friction point was so small that the clutch would engage seemingly "all at once" within a couple of millimeters of lever throw. Gradually pulling some slack out of the cable, and some patience, pretty much rectified it, though I still have a short friction point. I just have to "know what the bike likes" in terms of first gear engagement.

Did you begin your adjustment by taking most of the slack out at the side cover, and then fine tuning at the lever/perch?

TC

Hi
I thought I was careful a setting it up
I did start at the clutch cover ... I will take slack out of the cable next

Someone told me about the thrust washerand bearing behingd the clutch basket

Paul

You can try it if you like but I think the stated claims that this bearing will improve your clutch action are mostly a sales pitch. It is an improved bearing with more rollers in it than the original but it made absolutely no difference in the way my clutch operated.

If you are more aggressive with your throttle/clutch the bike handles fine? Because all of my bikes hate pussy footin' around (don't walk on egg shells with that clutch. it is an agressive bike)
May not be right but...if its nothing mechanical...

Paul Carr,

When I made my footclutch setup I was using a 7 plate clutch pack off a 75. I simply had zero friction zone, it was literally like an 1/8". Swapped in new friction and pressure plates, new HI PO springs, replaced the aforementioned bearing, and experimented across the whole range of adjustment and simply couldn't get it to engage smoothly. I chalked it up to miscalculating the angles of my linkages, but even after trying different configurations it made no difference.

Finally on a whim I picked up a 6 pack clutch from an '81 with the spring loaded boss. WOW, it was like a night and day difference. I can actually shift my bike without being paranoid of stalling it every stop.

If worse comes to worse, I'd suggest picking up a late model clutch. You get the spring loaded boss and you can also make sure to find one with intact cush springs. Lots of times on the 7 plate clutch there's a broken cush spring or two.

You can just swap the inner basket and plate stack into your current outer basket but I would take this opportunity to remove the outer basket and inspect the coil springs on the back. They can and do break and that may be the cause of your funky clutch engagement.

Back