Grand Prix Speed Works? Anyone else had issues and managed to get them resolved?

triumphtracker

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
I am working on a street tracker project and decided to have a custom tail section made from a styrofoam mold that I made. I also wanted a matching tank that he advertised on his website.

I sent it off to Jake Latimer at Grand Prix Speed Works in October of 2012. He called me back within a week or so with a quote and said he could complete the project in 3-4 weeks. There were some technical issues as the mold had to be widened since my mold (technically a plug i believe) was designed to be overlaid with carbon fibre but jake intended to make a reverse of my mold. So I expected it to take a bit longer than originally planned.

I continued working on other aspects of my project patiently waiting my body work. After many unanswered calls I managed to contact Jake via email. I asked if he could send the tank so that I could work out where to set my steering stops as I was using an inverted fork. He sent me the tank a couple of weeks later(it had been about 8 months from my initial quote). When I opened the box the first thing I noticed was that it smelled kind of sweet and chemically. This, according to a friend that does a lot of non motorcyle related fibre glass work, is the smell of uncured resin. This caused a lot of bubbles in the clear coat.

I was quite disappointed and Jake said he would send another when he finished the tail section.

That was 8 months ago.
For a grand total of 15 months.

Any suggestions?

Back