Grease vs antisieze

bosco659

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Question for the lube guru’s. If I want to lubricate a shaft that isn’t rotating at high speed, say something with a lever that rocks back and forth say 90 - 180 degrees with moderate load, would it be better to use conventional grease or antisieze?

I think with that much movement, I'd go with grease. I only use anti-seize on non-moving parts (threads or the bolts themselves), or a part that moves very little. As an example, I put it on my cush drive rear hub, on the sleeve it moves on. But that only rotates maybe a quarter inch or so .....

HubSleeve.jpg

RrHubDone2.jpg

It really needed something there because it was all rusty when I got it and didn't move at all, lol .....

Before2.jpg

It came out good and I know it works because it moved as I tightened the sprocket bolts.

Another option may be a grease and anti-seize mix. This was an old BMW mechanic's tip for lubing the splines on the rear drive and clutch. It worked better than any of the several greases BMW recommended over the years (they kept recommending new ones, lol).

I think with that much movement, I'd go with grease. I only use anti-seize on non-moving parts (threads or the bolts themselves), or a part that moves very little. As an example, I put it on my cush drive rear hub, on the sleeve it moves on. But that only rotates maybe a quarter inch or so .....

View attachment 289575

View attachment 289576

It really needed something there because it was all rusty when I got it and didn't move at all, lol .....

View attachment 289577

It came out good and I know it works because it moved as I tightened the sprocket bolts.

Another option may be a grease and anti-seize mix. This was an old BMW mechanic's tip for lubing the splines on the rear drive and clutch. It worked better than any of the several greases BMW recommended over the years (they kept recommending new ones, lol).
Thanks 5T.

Another lube tip from a friend of mine who ran a small engine repair shop. He would put a 50/50 mix of gear oil to grease in the auger gearboxes of snowblowers he’d serviced. If you just packed the gearcase with grease, the gears and shaft ewould quickly create a hollow space beteween the pieces needing lube and the gearcase body itself. This goopy mixture would continue to flow into the gears and bushings. This however want recommended for a severely worn gear box and the lubricant would ooze out quickly.

Well, the old BMW mechanic's "blend" was moly grease mixed with anti-seize. I have a jar I made up that I've been using for years.

Back