Green Grandad resurrection

Thinking out loud
Dont know exactly how the petcock is installed But if it like on a 80

Perhaps that Tank dent can be tapped or pressed out from the Petcock hole

Thinking out loud
Dont know exactly how the petcock is installed But if it like on a 80

Perhaps that Tank dent can be tapped or pressed out from the Petcock hole
Jan I like that idea! I'm definitely planning on making a run at removing the dents somehow I just haven't made a plan. That innertube trick keeps popping up but maybe your thought is better.

Jan I like that idea! I'm definitely planning on making a run at removing the dents somehow I just haven't made a plan. That innertube trick keeps popping up but maybe your thought is better.
Helpful tip, use a heat gun to warm the paint before pushing the dent out. Heat will soften the paint and may prevent it from cracking. Not too much heat though.

Thanks for the tip, Terry. I've never messed with dents except to bondo (poorly) them away so this will be a foray into the unknown.
And while we're talking about it, I like to use 1/4" round steel stock, with the tip rounded or hardwood dowels. You can take a 2x2 piece of wood and drill a hole 1/2 way through it to use as a "handle" to help you push. Try to push slowly by hand. Hammers are a tool of last resort. Have someone watch the area you are trying to push out, that way you can see if you're in the right spot. Don't let perfect be the enemy of better.

I could be wrong........... I think the guys who do paintless dent removals use dry ice to shrink the metal to help it go back into shape.

I had a young girl back into mine and knock it over resulting in this dent. Paintless guy was reasonable and did a really good job. 29C05370-0376-4E42-ACFA-D6929FE78988.jpegB7510E0C-F93F-4782-9A10-6B9F79A732A8.jpegB1374953-D955-4D39-B429-AC114D07B61D.jpegB5D9D370-C30E-4FD7-B32C-8DA5658C3255.jpeg

Small update: Bike just cleared vin inspection, so I just need to fill out the DMV paperwork and I will have a title! The woman doing the inspection got pretty excited about the bike. Said it was probably one of the first of these bikes to come to a dealership in Utah. She also pointed out that it has a 70s black-and-white plate that they no longer print that she said I could keep and use.

Toss some Marvel in the cylinders... kick over.. repeat often prior to start up.... mine sat for over 20 years and ran fine for a year then ate the con-rod needle bearings. You have " good bones " for a proper restoration... I put in a Xs2 battery box on my Xs1,,,, bigger better battery.... 😎

Back