Green Grandad resurrection

The Gray Princess is not thrilled with the pace of this survivor resurrection.
458CCC0F-FC00-48A1-9154-0E77A8AAC75A.jpeg

Last edited:
As I’ve said before the MC gods don’t giveth with both hands…
Found this nice “Beemer seat” listed locally that is a perfect fit for my xs1😄
But then I found a significant crack in the frame while removing the old crusty seat…guess this thing is getting fully nude for a weld and repaint…slippery slope indeed
1EC67671-22E9-4ABF-81A1-4156A9698CF3.jpeg
1DFA22B5-6A5F-4C11-91CF-07FEBC9C25E7.jpeg
E1EDE32D-863A-4A53-AC15-92285AEFCC9E.jpeg

But then I found a significant crack in the frame while removing the old crusty seat…guess this thing is getting fully nude for a weld and repaint…slippery slope indeed
View attachment 240360View attachment 240361View attachment 240362
From what I've seen and read, that crack is pretty common in the early frames. Check the downtube where it meets the cross piece at the bottom.... below the aft motor mount... another common crack point.

Oh crap...never heard of this before, I have a few frames to go inspect I reckon!! 😲

On a positive note: Great score on that seat (with grab rail no less!!), looks to be in great shape and they're getting harder and harder to find every day. ;)👍

If it’s that big of a problem, perhaps one should perform a dye penetrant inspection on suspect frames. These cracks might be very difficult to see if they aren’t advanced.
Well, I'm definitely not planning any Evel Knievel stunts with any of mine anytime soon, so I think I'm safe there.

Its just the aircraft maintainer guy in me just makes me obsess with preventative maintenance...you know the deal. :thumbsup:

Back