Greetings From Massachusetts

Herper

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hello to All,

Currently ride an '02 VStar 1100 Classic w/52,000 miles on it. Recently picked up a 1980 Special as a project bike. Been sitting for years and looks a little rough but with a new battery, found out it runs with no smoke so I think I'm off to a good start. Now in the process of re-building the carbs. Found Mike's XS and will need to order up some pilot jet screws that I forgot to order with the rest of the jets, needles and floats. Was told it currently has +2" forks so I suppose those will have to go (or be shortened) as I'd like to lower the back end some with 11.5" shocks. Plan on making a brat style bobber. At age 61 the hardtails just don't interest me anymore. :wink2: The brat kit from Visual Impact looks like a winner for me and the beefed-up swing arm with +2" extension on another site looks mighty appealing. I'm guessing a little more wheelbase will increase handling??

Anyway, the XS650 had always appealed to me, especially back in the late 60's, early 70's when I was a low level enlisted man that never seemed to be able to afford one. Took several decades, but finally got one and I'm just as excited now as I was then. :bike:

Welcome to the wnderfull world of the xs650.
Where in Mass are you located?
The guys and gals on this site are some of the nicest you will find any where.

I also have a 1980 special that I put the visual impact kit on and I love it. Well good luck with your build and be sure to post pictures.

hi Herper, welcome to the club i also have an 80 gs and I love it I really like the look of the brat style good luck with your build.check out the carb guide here it is great and has all the info you will need to get those carbs just right. "just in case you need to know" Im in fort myers Fl and again welcome :cheers: ,Ed

Welcome. I'm from Mass too in Newton. I was just north of where you are in the Greenfield area last week, With the Army helping out with the flooding from the storm.

Back