gripps ????????

Remember this thread? http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28722

Been running fancy-trimmed foam grips on the stocker, but the foam doesn't stay put.
Other bike has straight Harley-style grips, what we used to call 'jackhammers'.

This kinda shows the grips: http://www.xs650.com/forum/showpost.php?p=352516&postcount=7
You can see the foam has shifted.

I like grips with a flange, to meet the handlebar switch. The foam grips had an overly large flange, so trimmed them to match switch housing diameter. If those Cole Foster palmswell grips had a flange, I'd probably get 4 pairs...

I bought new handlebars yesterday at the local motorcycle "supermarket". I thought I might need new grips, so I browsed the grip "aisle". I was overwhelmed by the choices! So I just kept and reused the old (classic black GT) ones. I've had these on several bikes, and have found them to be just fine.

BTW... if anyone has trouble removing the left grip (to change bars or whatever) and would like to reuse the same grips, insert a very small screwdriver just slightly into the opened end, and then the spray tube of PB Blaster (or your favorite) next to the screwdriver. Spray a bit in, holding a towel around the end so sprayback doesn't mess the bike up. Remove the tube and screwdriver and work it around a bit. You'll feel it getting loose right away. You may have to go a bit deeper with the screwdriver and tube for a second or third shot. Be careful not to gouge the rubber. Thoroughly wash out the PB Blaster using Dawn detergent. I know... you didn't ask for this info, but I couldn't resist! :doh:

Attachments

• blackgrips.jpg
    blackgrips.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 238
Classic black GT's on the '77 and Mikesxs stock style replacements on the '83.
GT's are nice bare handed and the stockers are better with gloves. ATGATT suggests I should put stock style on the '77 ....

I am running the OEM EX500 grips that came with the hand controls when i switched over and I have to say that they are pretty comfy expecially with gloves and they have nice flange by the switches. Just a thought.

I JUST opened my website. Super cool retro sparkle grips on there.

10% coupon to all forum members - type in xs650forum

shop.truenorthmetal.ca

love to hear what you think even if you dont buy.

Peace All !!!

hMetal-Custom-Yamaha-xs650-retro-grips_zpsa31d218a.jpg

grab ons foam grips are OK, they wear out and leave black on bare hands. Mechanics gloves with gel palms are awesome.
a windshield wiper stainless strip is perfect to work a grip loose from the bars. file and bend to make a tool. like said some wd aids the removal.
I like the grips with wings especially on a bike that has your weight on your hands at low speed.

The barrel grips like SMG shows above have been some of my favorites since the 70's. Today are not as good though as the old ones. They used to actually have a air space between 2 layers of rubber for the barrel, now they r just formed with thicker rubber for the barrel. I still put them on my Triumph though.

BTW... if anyone has trouble removing the left grip (to change bars or whatever) and would like to reuse the same grips, insert a very small screwdriver just slightly into the opened end, and then the spray tube of PB Blaster (or your favorite) next to the screwdriver. - - -

Hi smg65,
penetrating oil works but WD40 works better AND you don't need to wash it out of the grip afterwards.
Like you say, skinny screwdiver, squirt, twist off.
Reinstall, squirt inside with WD40, slides on real slick and will slide right off again if you've forgotten to put on something you should have remembered.
But the next day that grip is on there solid.

Hi smg65,
penetrating oil works but WD40 works better AND you don't need to wash it out of the grip afterwards..... But the next day that grip is on there solid.

Wish I would have known this on Sunday when I installed bar-end mirrors! After I get the grips off, I've always washed the penetrate out with dishwashing detergent, then I had to find a way to slide them back on. In the past, I've used a tiny bit of detergent as a lubricant that dries out. Your tip saves work and time. :thumbsup: Thanks!

I have been using this process for years, but with electrical contact cleaner. It leaves no residue at all and the grip tightens up quickly.

If you've got an air compressor and and a nozzle just point it at the grip and bar junction and blow! Should air up the grip and they'll slip right off, if they haven't been glued. If they have you'll have to cut them off anyway...Than clean the bar up and do the same with the new grip to slip it on. Tight, fast, and no waiting! A tip brought from the bmx world..

Back