Hagon shocks won't fit

WilberM

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I just bought a set of Hagon shocks from DCC and they won't fit on my '81 XS650. The bottom eye is too small to fit into the bolt. I can switch out the bushing, but I don't know the measurements of the replacement bushings. Also it looks like the bottom eye is too big and I won't be able to thread the nut on since the bolt is too small. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

There is no nut on the bottom shock mount of a 650, just a through bolt that threads into the back half of the shock mount on the swingarm. It sounds like your lower shock mount may have been altered and maybe that's why a shock designed to fit a 650 won't fit yours. The stock lower mounting bolt should be an M10 x 40.

I just bought a set of Hagon shocks from DCC and they won't fit on my '81 XS650. The bottom eye is too small IN DIAMETER TO FIT ONTO the bolt. I can switch out the bushing, but I don't know the measurements of the replacement bushings. Also it looks like the bottom eye is too LONG and I won't be able to thread the nut on since the bolt is too SHORT. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Wilber,
I've EDITED your post so it says what I think you meant.
Most shock bushings can be pressed out in a vise using sockets as press dies and you can buy alternative bushings at good bike chops.
Armorall works as a lubricant to help press in the new bushings.
You can grind the bushing eye shorter to fit the mounting stud length but be aware that doing so will invalidate the shocks return and warranty.
[EDIT] I just looked and of course, 5twins is right. Top mount is a stud & nut, bottom mount is a bolt through a fork. So neither end will fit?

Last edited:
There is no mounting stud for a 650 lower rear shock mount, it goes in a clevis. The top fits on a stud.

Yes, some edit job, now we can't read it at all, lol.

Yeah, that piss green don't work as well as I'd hoped.
I'll try for a re-edit just for us old half-blind guys.
And 5twins, Yeah! Clevis! That's the term I couldn't bring to mind.

Thanks for the help guys. I just realized what I was trying to do would've made no sense. I finished tearing the bike down, and I'm now starting to put everything back together. This is my first bike so as you can imagine it's been pretty crazy trying to get it running.

Back