handlebar control wiring 1974 tx650a

Haalo

XS650 noob
Reaction score
I'm trying to change some handlebar controls and am running into some wiring questions. Hopefully you guys can help, the wiring diagrams don't seem to...

For the right side i'm replacing the stock Run/kill; lights on/off; and start button switch with an aftermarket run/kill and starter. The original is a metal control and the new one is plastic.

Wires from the new: blue/white and black going to start button, red/white and red/black going to run/kill switch.

Old switch has orange/white and brown to run/kill; blue/white to starter; and blue/black, blue and orange/yellow to lights on/off switch.

I wanted to delete the lights on/off button, so I realize I'll have to wire that imaginatively somehow. But how else should I wire them?

The other side is basically a replacement for the stock control except it has a "pass" trigger. I don't need that to work, so I don't mind bypassing it. Wire colors are as follows:

old wires from bike / new wires from control
-pink --- -pink
-d.green --- -d.green
-green --- -green
-brown --- -brown
-blue/black --- -blue
-brown/white --- -brown/white
-yellow --- -yellow
------ -red/yellow
------ -black

Last edited:
photos didn't attach....

Attachments

• IMG_0076.jpg
    IMG_0076.jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 188
  • IMG_0077.jpg
    IMG_0077.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 210
  • IMG_0078.jpg
    IMG_0078.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 183
Ok. I realize this was probably a confusing and intricate question. Here's what I tried and where I got.

Run/kill button I hooked up blue/white to blue/white; black to frame; red/white to red/white; red/black to brown.

This seems to work. Starter engages properly and it runs and kills as per the switch. (Now I just have to figure out the headlight switch delete).

The left-hand switch I hooked up everything to it's nearest color and black to frame with red/yellow hanging loosely (assuming it was for the 'pass' switch).

Horn worked. Left signal worked. (I can't tell if the high beam switch works yet), but the right signal flashes once and then stays on. :shrug:

I'll try to borrow a multi-meter and do some tests, but does anyone recognize this? The signal worked before changing controls.

Ok. I realize this was probably a confusing and intricate question. Here's what I tried and where I got.

Run/kill button I hooked up blue/white to blue/white; black to frame; red/white to red/white; red/black to brown.

This seems to work. Starter engages properly and it runs and kills as per the switch. (Now I just have to figure out the headlight switch delete).

The left-hand switch I hooked up everything to it's nearest color and black to frame with red/yellow hanging loosely (assuming it was for the 'pass' switch).

Horn worked. Left signal worked. (I can't tell if the high beam switch works yet), but the right signal flashes once and then stays on. :shrug:

I'll try to borrow a multi-meter and do some tests, but does anyone recognize this? The signal worked before changing controls.

Check the ground out. Either on the front signal light ground inside the headlight, or if needed, on the handlebars to frame - may be rusty underneath the mounts. There is another ground under the meter bracket. If both lights stay on and don't flash you can sometimes just ground the flasher case to the ground wire off the flasher. I've done that on my 74 same bike and it works fine.

Good advice. Thanks
Turned out, the battery wasn't putting out enough power. I just had to run the bike for a bit and the turn signal works fine.

My handlebar ground connections are ridiculous right now. Literally wires hooked together and held by gravity and luck. :)

I wanted to delete the lights on/off button, so I realize I'll have to wire that imaginatively somehow. But how else should I wire them?
plug the wires that should go to the switch together, that will eliminate the switch, blue and orange (Red)/yellow to lights on/off switch altho' you may need to add the Blue/Black to get headlights according to wiring diagram ..... see Red arrow the headlight and tail light power goes thru that switch (Red/Yellow from main switch)

Attachments

• 74_TX650A.PNG
    74_TX650A.PNG
    60.2 KB · Views: 327
Back