hard downshift question

bobber33

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
So i've finally got a few miles on the build and i've noticed that it doesn't seem to like downshifting into 1st gear. All the gears work fine, nothing is popping out of gear or anything. Just a bit mechanical, or stiff feeling when trying to get back into 1st approaching a stop light.
And occasionally the shifter seems to stay in the down position when i get it there, a quick little lift of the toe and all is fine again.
I'm not super concerned about it but i'm wondering what the cause would be (shift forks?)
I've checked the clutch side and all is good, no broken springs or warn parts and all the clutch plates are new as well.

When you were looking at the clutch and springs, did you check the shift arm adjustment? I don't have the pics to explain. On page 80 in the Clymer book there is the how to on adjustment, with pics.
Doing the adjustment may help.

When you were looking at the clutch and springs, did you check the shift arm adjustment? I don't have the pics to explain. On page 80 in the Clymer book there is the how to on adjustment, with pics.
Doing the adjustment may help.

I did check it last time i had the side off. It seemed to check out to what the book says as far a adjusting it so things are centered on the star wheel etc...

My downshift almost feels like trying to downshift without pulling the clutch... just very hard to press the shifter into 1st.. not sure if this helps.
It is a 1972 so maybe something is a bit worn and starting to cause some trouble.

Well, if the shift arm is adjusted right, then the only other thing that would be an easy check would be the clutch adjustment. If it's a bit loose then the drag on the gears would make it shift a bit harder.
Next inline would be internal. Bent or worn shift forks. Worn parts in the shift forks, pins and rollers that hook the forks to the shift drum. Possibly a worn shift drum.
I wouldn't worry to much until it got really bad. Or started making unusual noises.

Back