Hard tail kick stand length

hard_y_rd

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
I have a T.C bros hardtailed frame. Bike sits at 6.5 inches straight up with engine in. Wondering how much lean should be on the bike when kickstand is installed.
I'm going to cut a bit out of the stock stand. I managed to save the bung on the stand that welds to the frame. I'm thinking around 1-2 inches.

Here's a pic

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    317.2 KB · Views: 295
Gotcha. I'm running a tall rear 16 and 19 up front. Stock suspension. Not sure how much you'll have to shorten it with that drop in the front. I'd take an inch at a time until its right.

Pretty much your gonna have to figur out for yourself. Only because everyone has different wheel, ride night, suspension modifications, etc. The way I ended up doing it was to lean the bike at the angle I wanted without the kickstand and strap it up. Then used a tape measure to figure out the length of kickstand I wanted. I cut off the bottom and whatever amount I needed to shorten the kickstand minus the thickness of the foot. Then put the kickstand back on the bike and put the foot back underneath and tacked it into place. That way your stand is the right length and the foot is flat on the ground.

Pretty much your gonna have to figur out for yourself. Only because everyone has different wheel, ride night, suspension modifications, etc. The way I ended up doing it was to lean the bike at the angle I wanted without the kickstand and strap it up. Then used a tape measure to figure out the length of kickstand I wanted. I cut off the bottom and whatever amount I needed to shorten the kickstand minus the thickness of the foot. Then put the kickstand back on the bike and put the foot back underneath and tacked it into place. That way your stand is the right length and the foot is flat on the ground.

Kinda figured that. Good idea strapping it up. Got about a dozen tabs and shit to weld on the frame. Seems like it's the little things that take the longest to do.

Pretty much your gonna have to figur out for yourself. Only because everyone has different wheel, ride night, suspension modifications, etc.

Same situation here. I needed mine to not only be shorter, but to tuck closer under the frame, to clear low mounted mid sets. Made 2 cuts on angles, shortened, tacked, confirmed, finished weld, chromed. It needed to have a safe/stable park angle on hard level ground, and be almost vertical when used on a 2x4 (handy when checking wheel alignment). Attached pics should be detailed enuff to zoom-in on sidestand...

Attachments

• XS1B-a1.jpg
    XS1B-a1.jpg
    221.8 KB · Views: 240
  • XS1B-a2.jpg
    XS1B-a2.jpg
    214.5 KB · Views: 241
One thing you have to watch on the later stands is the spring tang is rather low on the stand. This limits how much you can shorten it. If you move the spring tang up, you may lose spring tension and the stand won't stay up. You may need to scrounge up a shorter spring.

Measured 1 inch, fired up the grinder and made a cut below the spring. Beveled one section and got her welded up. I got excited when i was de-tabbing my frame. I pretty well cut everthing off including the kickstand perch. I was able to save it though. Gonna weld it back right where it came from.

Back