hard tail too wide ... or ... axle too short

MN_Bobber

79 XS650 Newb
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I have a 72 frame the PO chopped and put on a TC Bros hardtail. The bike was still in pieces when I bought so I never saw it completed. Anyway...

I'm getting around to completing the bike but the rear axle doesn't quite seem long enough as there are no threads showing for me to attach the castle nut to. I willl get pics later when I get home. From right to left: 3/4' spacer, chain adjuster, spool looking stock spacer, brake stay plate --(HUB)-- dust shield, chain adjuster, 3/4' spacer. But as stated, there are no threads showing for me to spin the castle nut.

Any suggestions? Can someone with a hardtail post detailed pics of their rear axle setup? I will also take a measurement from outside axle plate to outside axle plate.

Thanks!

You need a rear axle and spacers from a 74 and newer bike. 70-73 used a shorter axle.

So I just checked out MikesXS and the axle he has for sale for 1974+ looks just like the one I have. Does the 1973 and earlier one look just like the newer longer one?

Now I'm confused.

Last edited:
A true length measurement is what matters, not looks. Your answer is in a tape measure my friend.

Posted via Mobile

So a little searching on ebay uncovered that it does look exactly like the one MikesXS has pictured. The next logical question for me is how long are each of the real axles?

I'm going to measure the rear axle tonight when I get home. I'll post up then.

Thanks!

Model years '75 and UP axles are too long to use without shims, they recommend (TC Bros.) using standard 3/4" washers, Some models '70-'74 the axles are too short to use at all. I have 5 3/4" washers on mine ('78 axle) 1 each outside and 1 each inside of each axle adjuster and 1 on the axle on the brake side...hope the picture helps you out. The washers are the silver parts and the adjusters are black. (They 'sandwich' the axle plate and the first takes up the slack)

Attachments

• GEDC0537.jpg
    GEDC0537.jpg
    279.5 KB · Views: 175
Measure the inside from plate to plate . Should be around 8 1/2 " if its a TC BROTHERS
If its wider than that you may need a bigger axle. Honda CB 550 is the same axle but longer . I use them all the time. I have AXLES for the TC BROTHERS Hard Tail $10.00 plus $10.00 to ship if you are in USA.

Ok, so it's 8 1/2 inches .....

From inside plate to inside plate. :). G was correct, but the axle I have is not long enough. So how long is the correct axle length to work with this hardtail?

MN_B.;
Just get yourself ANY year after a '75 axle, and go to the hardware store and pick up the washers and you'll be set. DaddyG's got what you need and there are a whole bunch on the Evil-bay also, seen one yesterday for $9.99+S&H with the spacers, just not the spacers I'm hunting for though.

From reading your thread you have listed a 3/4 spacer, the adjuster, the spool, brake plate, hub, collar, adjuster, 3/4 spacer. Are the two 3/4 spacers out side the swing arm? From your description it sounds that way. If they are just leave them off and try the axle.

I've tried to leave them out, but there is too much room inside the axle plates and I can't tighten the axle enough to stabilize the tire. The spacers are a must. Once I get a long enough axle, i can manipulate the spacers to align the sprockets.

Thanks.

On a lot of the ones from TCB you may have to cut down the stock spacer just a little. I take a large screw driver and when i put the spacer in i just use it to open up the space a little and never had a problem. You need longer axle like they are telling you.

Anyone in the Twin Cities area have a 75 or older rear axle they want to sell? If no,I'll pony up for the shipping charges from DaddyGCycles in Jersey.

Anyone???

Back