Hardtail mock-up Rotor rubbing on caliper mount

BareKnuckles

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm currently using a TC Bros hardtail and when I mocked up the wheel/brake/etc the caliper mount is rubbing on the rotor and the adjusters seem to be 1/4" too big... Ideas or pics of someone who is running a mag and disc combo?? Thanks!

Brake mount is mounted with the axle running through it... It this right? Space on the adjusters is on the outside... They are on correctly with thicker side out.

Pics of how it's binding would help but Just looking at my bike the only way the brake mount could rub on the rotor is if you are missing #11 in the attached parts. Post a pic maybe we can see what's going on.

Attachments

• rear-wheel-xs650sg-1978-1980_bigyau0806h-7_b6ec.jpg
    rear-wheel-xs650sg-1978-1980_bigyau0806h-7_b6ec.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 67
It also depends on the HardTail . I have had some hardtail kits need more shimming for disk brake but you do need the brake stay attached to see this.

im not positive as i dont have a stock rear caliper bracket to look at but it looks like you dont have the correct bracket...

post a pic from the side of the bike so we can see the bracket better...

Are you sure the wheel is not off. It look like to me that the axle is off or whoever made up that ass end one side is off if both sides have the adjusters all the way in. I have gotten into my shop in the past hardtails not welded up correctly and one side is longer than the other. IS the wheel dead center. Need more pictures.Here is a picture of one done.

Attachments

• xs brake.jpg
    xs brake.jpg
    312.7 KB · Views: 102
  • brake2.jpg
    brake2.jpg
    317.3 KB · Views: 96
In PhatTony's diagram the parts 11 and 12 are the spacer and cover for the bearing. If you have a spacer and cover in there Then either it is the wrong one or the caliper bracket is wrong. If you have a spacer and cover in there I might try adding a 3/4 inch washer between the spacer and bracket. Maybe two.
When I did the drum to disc conversion on my 75 I couldn't find thaty spacer and collar anywhere. Found one that was a bit to short and cut an additional spacer from one with out the cover to get the bracket from rubbing the rotor.
Leo

Back