has anyone scotchbrite anything?

jeepguy

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
i see alot of guys spending lots of time on here polishing up their bikes and it looks great but i like that brushed aluminum look any used scotchbrite pads to achieve this look.??

Do it all the time.

Compared to polishing, it is easier. But the surface is not gonna be all that smooth, so it will hold dirt and look dirty quicker.

I scothbrite lots of parts on the lathe, and by hand I usually use soapy water and a green scotch pad. If I have a huge surface area to get over, I use a 90 die grinder with a 3M scotch pad on it...

Sometimes i mix the finishes on the bikes, too much of 1 thing always looks funky. My last bike, I scotched the forks, polished the side covers and valve covers, and scotched the hubs but polished the rims....

Or sometimes I just bead blast the parts too...

i was thinking about scotch the forks also you do lowers and tubes or just the lowers how long you think it took im probably gonna do by hand completly i think also you got any tips i heard just go in the same direction

The uppers I leave, they need to be in good shape to work properly. It's just a finish, so experiment some. You might like swirls, or you might like straight. I do a little of everything...

Gary I have used the 3M roloc version of those alot cleaning aluminum gasket surfaces I was wondering if there were other products available and now I know. ... but it appears there is no shopping cart option on that website?

I have been getting the Weiler brand at my local farm and fleet.
Here's an online source;
http://www.drillspot.com/products/356023/weiler_36435_wheel_brush

Disclaimer; I have not used this online vendor
The blue is finer than the orange which creates a fairly deep scratch. The blue results in a surface similar to the one on the stock fork tubes. Removing the clearcoat first speeds things up.

Picture004-vi.jpg

here's mine. I used the gray Harbor Freight scotchbrite. I polished it anyways.

oh, if you use a steel wire wheel, especially the ones that go on grinders, make sure you put it on the same way everytime so that it turns the same direction. they get used to going one way, and if you take it off, and put it back on the other way, the wires will fly out!

I have been getting the Weiler brand at my local farm and fleet.
Here's an online source;
http://www.drillspot.com/products/356023/weiler_36435_wheel_brush

Disclaimer; I have not used this online vendor
The blue is finer than the orange which creates a fairly deep scratch. The blue results in a surface similar to the one on the stock fork tubes. Removing the clearcoat first speeds things up.

just googled weiler, and it appears I have a few places near me that sell them. ... Thanks for the tip Gary :thumbsup:

Back