Has anyone shaved the triple trees, any pics of completed?

kev93

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am wanting to clean up the triple trees on my 79' I want to get rid of the speedo and tach mount on the upper tree. Will this weaken it at all? If anyone has any pics of theirs cleaned up that would be great.Thanks

I think hugh did that:

100_1570.jpg

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=719041&page=3

Hey, I did this on my bobber.. My top tree looks like the one above. I used a angle grinder to cut the loops off, then a die grinder with a sanding disk to smooth it out, the 200, 300, grit sand paper, then 400, 500, 600 grit wet sanding, then polish with a polishing wheel and jewlers polish, then a hand polish. It's a lot of work, but in a couple of hours you can make it look like the above.
The bottom of the tree is steel, so you can't really polish it like the top.

I actually will just paint them after smoothing them out. Any suggestions on how to get the factory paint off of them? And making new paint stick?

No need to remove the old paint. Clean with wax and grease remover. Scuff with a red 3 m pad. Clean again and shoot.

Posted via Mobile

Yeah I did, thanks. Its just a chunk of aluminum drilled, sanded the edges round-ish, and polished.

should i use a sanding drum or use a disc on a die grinder to smooth it out after i cut the loops off the upper tree? is 200 grit good for shaping?

Back