Has anyone tried the original headlight to a double

Moisstink

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wanted to know if anyone has taken the simple three prong headlight set up and modified it out for what it takes to switch to a double led light set up. The first photo is just a possible direction for the lights purchase and the last three is the end result I am shooting for (Actually the two bulb version). The lights are cheap made in china type so not a heavy cost to attempt. If you've done it any ideas on how to go about it and what kind of problems may I run into during the process. It should be possible and I think it looks pretty good for a mod. This is not going on a stock bike so I am not going to take a sweet original and butcher it. The bike has a few of mods on it now which is coming together pretty well. Any and all info is appreciated.

Attachments

• lights.jpg
    lights.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 164
  • example 1.jpg
    example 1.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 153
  • example 2.jpg
    example 2.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 159
  • example 3.jpg
    example 3.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 182
  • angle web.jpg
    angle web.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 194
  • side web.jpg
    side web.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 182
Last edited:
Hi Moisstink,
the 3-prong headlight socket has it's 3 wires plugged into the bike's harness.
All that's needed is to pull those wires and plug in a doubled wire into each of those sockets to run the two new headlights.
The only problem is that 2 lamps suck up twice as much current.
You may be able to save up the extra by switching all the other lights from incandescent bulbs to LEDs

Hi Moisstink,
the 3-prong headlight socket has it's 3 wires plugged into the bike's harness.
All that's needed is to pull those wires and plug in a doubled wire into each of those sockets to run the two new headlights.
The only problem is that 2 lamps suck up twice as much current.
You may be able to save up the extra by switching all the other lights from incandescent bulbs to LEDs

Very cool info. Sorry for the nube questions. I am wondering if a these led new lights pull the around same amount of current as an older incandescent single headlight. I guess I have some research to do on that. If anyone has done it on the forum please post some photo's thanks.

Hi Moisstink,
well, I finally noticed that you posted that they are LED lights.
Do they each have a low beam/high beam setting or are they single beam units that you switch between?
That WILL make a difference in how they are connected.
LEDs don't take much current at all so you should be OK with powering them.
If there's anything weird about how they need to be wired, most likely there will be a wiring diagram included in the lamp's packaging.

Last edited:
Hi Moisstink,
well, I finally noticed that you posted that they are LED lights.
Do they each have a low beam/high beam setting or are they single beam units that you switch between?
That WILL make a difference in how they are connected.
LEDs don't take much current at all so you should be OK with powering them.
If there's anything weird about how they need to be wired, most likely there will be a wiring diagram included in the lamp's packaging.

Yeah, they do have high and low beam. Thanks for the response. I am sure different light sets have different power requirements so I will keep that in mind and try to find a comparison to the standard bulb. If anyone has any hands on experience with the best set up for the 650's lemmie know. Thanks again.

You are wanting the two headlight arrangement? Or are you looking for a LED headlight?
Because of your post I was looking through e-bay offerings. One twin light set up had 3 modes in each light. A strobe, a low beam and a high beam. That would seem difficult to wire. Another easier option(?) was twin bulbs but one was your low beam, the other high.
That would seem easy to do off the oem wire harness.

So after doing some research I decided I may want to go with a different approach to the whole double headlight aspect and go for the single. What I found was a 4 1/2 inch harley fog light that may fit the bill. I am attaching a photo of what I am thinking and the light itself. I found a pair of these for 30.00. What I think is key is that the light is only about 2 3/8" deep so that should work with the example I am posting along with this. If anyone has done this set up let me know how it worked out for you or any input would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• harley headlight.jpg
    harley headlight.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 160
  • harley fog light.jpg
    harley fog light.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 133
  • harley fog light 2.jpg
    harley fog light 2.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 148
Hi Moisstink,
OK, it looks fine.
BUT it's a fog light.
Fog lights put a big splat of light up close, are NFG for distance and they don't dip.
You sure that's what you want?

Hi Moisstink,
OK, it looks fine.
BUT it's a fog light.
Fog lights put a big splat of light up close, are NFG for distance and they don't dip.
You sure that's what you want?

Well, that is the kind of info I was not sure about. I guess just because it has been done does not mean it is the way to go. The lumen value is 1260LM and it is rated as Power: 30W. It also states that the lens design allows the light to focus on the front and sides of your path. So yeah I am not sure if this is the way I want to go 100%. I do not do a lot of night riding but do not want to be in a situation where I need a good headlight to light up the road and do not have it. I couldn't find an exact reference to what a normal headlight puts out but what I did read seemed like this is pretty close. I am not sure what you mean they do not dip.

Hi Moisstink,
dip, dim, single filament, don't have a Hi/Lo?
Will your State's traffic laws allow you to ride without a Hi-beam/Lo-beam headlight?
You'll find more than anyone needs to know about headlights by Googling
"LED motorcycle headlights"
I really liked this one:-
http://www.jwspeaker.com/blog/new-l...t-adapative/?gclid=CL7D88POic0CFQUMaQodwpUOzQ
But I'd bet it ain't a cheap option.

Now that light is truly impressive and for 600.00 to 700.00 I would expect it to shoot lazers to blast drivers trying to run me off the road to oblivion. A little too steep for my blood right now but I am sure over time the prices may become more reasonable. Very cool to see that technology.:thumbsup:

The stock sealed beam headlight bulb has a 40 watt low beam and a 50 watt high beam.
Led bulbs can be made that give singular light output but draw less current.
Like turn signal bulbs are 27 watt bulbs, an LED bulb would draw around .45 watts.
I don't know if headlights run similar to that or not.
Leo

Oh, The stock headlight wiring has the high beam a yellow wire, low beam is a dark green wire. Black is ground.
So wiring in any new headlight just wire them the same.
Leo

Oh, The stock headlight wiring has the high beam a yellow wire, low beam is a dark green wire. Black is ground.
So wiring in any new headlight just wire them the same.
Leo

XSLeo thanks for the information. I do appreciate it. This group rocks! Once I have it all dialed in I will post findings and photo's.

Back