Have a torn 77 seat, I can't find a seat cover that looks like it. Help me out?

Ya, I see what you mean. I bet it would still look good, your step isn't all that drastic.

Otherwise, you may find an upholstery shop to build one. Probably a lot more $ though.

Good luck.

That's the definitely the same seat/pattern...but it's on a "special" seat frame. The seat posted by Cantgetright looks like a standard seat...perhaps with a special cover on it?

Lads, looks like a '78 or '79 Special seat that has had the lower foam 'wings' trimmed to fit a Standard pan. Yeah, I've done that and that's what it turns out to look like. Not a bad seat, comfort wise-but it's a bastard.

You can find another Special cover, '78, '79 OR find the foam and a cover for the '77 Standard, which is what I eventually did.

I still have that cover hanging around here but there's no guarantee of how it would look in your application.

Hi CGR,
yeah, that seat is kinda torn up and black duck tape can only do so much, eh?
I've always used Saddlemens seat covers and they look just fine if you stretch them on properly.
I'm surprised they don't make one that fits your seat.

Well since no one else has asked. CantGatRight what are your plans for the pentagrams?
Looks like you've got the front and rear? Do you have the stay plate and rear master cylinder also?

This cover is the same as what you have?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/A290-YAMAHA...ash=item2366a0829f:g:qM4AAOSw-RRXBnVU&vxp=mtr

Or maybe someone local?
Delgado's Upholstery & Trim
Upholstery Shop
Address: 780 W Debbie Ln, Mansfield, TX 76063
Phone: (682) 518-8060

Last edited:
Learn something new everyday. So they stepped the stock seats in '78, '79.....not bad but kinda hybridizes the look.
It does have a pretty hybrid look to it, but for some reason I fell in love with the seat. I'm going to check with someone local today, but there's also a screw that's been snapped off inside the seat pan, so I'm going to see if there's anything to do about that. If local doesn't work out, the stoneclone may be my best bet.

It does have a pretty hybrid look to it, but for some reason I fell in love with the seat. I'm going to check with someone local today, but there's also a screw that's been snapped off inside the seat pan, so I'm going to see if there's anything to do about that. If local doesn't work out, the stoneclone may be my best bet.

Yeah, be careful if you try to remove those hinge to pan bolts as they're more likely than not to snap off. Penetrating oil and easy does it.

+1...all but one of my bolts snapped off.

Fortunately, I wasn't going to be using that seat, just needed the hinges, but there was no level of softness I could use, even after penetrating oil, that would keep them from snapping. :(

Yes real likely, wet foam keeps the ends of the bolts moist. It gets worse as you unthread.

The '78 Standard seat was flat. The '79 Standard was the only Standard seat with a step in it. Looks like you have a Standard base with the early style Special cover on it. Can't say whether the original foam was cut to form the step or Special foam was used.

Back