Have you ever disassembled an early speedo?

The 70-71 instruments have a plastic base, there is a way to open them up. I have some 72-73 instruments, almost identical, but use metal base with crimp ring. Skull has a good thread on opening up the later model instruments, principle should apply to the 72-73. Here's some 70-71 opened up:

Attachments

• Tach.jpg
    Tach.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 227
Subscribed, My 73 tach is intermittent

My 78SE tach was reading 500 rpm low and bouncing around. I took it apart, and could find nothing obviously wrong. A spinning magnet turns a metal drum connected to the needle, and a spiral spring counteracts/smoothes the rotation.

They were calibrated in the factory, many years ago, and once they crap out, they are un-repairable (in my opinion).

I bought a mint 1981 tach from E-bay, and it works perfect.

Attachments

• 78SE tachometer.JPG
    78SE tachometer.JPG
    195.4 KB · Views: 199
I had thought about doing an "Instrument overhaul" thread, mostly covering the 70-71 models, but noticed that Skull did a good thread, and nobody's inquired about doing the 70-71, so I put it on the backburner. Have 50 pics so far, includes complete disassembly, renewing pivot bushings, calibration, ...etc. It would fill a book, and overload my 'net connection. But,who would do this kind of rustoration? Could be just a waste of time. Coupla teaser pics:

Attachments

• Tach01.jpg
    Tach01.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 224
  • Tach02.jpg
    Tach02.jpg
    178.2 KB · Views: 231
  • Tach03.jpg
    Tach03.jpg
    186.2 KB · Views: 231
TMXS1s you ass! Now yah gotta do a thread, I demand it ............

On the way to pick up a tx650 (#2 but he's begging me LOL) Yeah the one with the king queen seat.

TMXS1s you ass! Now yah gotta do a thread, I demand it ............

Ok, ok, (shrink, duck, hide). But, with the enormity of the project, wouldn't something like this be better in a 'Word' format rather than 20-30 posts? I don't do PDF, but somebody could convert it, I guess. The forum upload limitations would require chopping it into multiple chapters.

Also, much of the overhaul work requires watchmaker precision attention to detail, metalworking skills with a good lathe, and an end result of looking like just another worn sun-bleached instrument, but works well. Given that new/upgraded/enticing/exciting instruments are available, is this a worthwhile project for an XS owner?

Yeah it's a tough call decent early gauges are still floating around. I have an extra set or three myself that I need to go look at before I'd do an overhaul.

On the other hand I have a webpage I can park an article on.... I can create a folder and give you FTP access.

Yeah it's a tough call decent early gauges are still floating around. I have an extra set or three myself that I need to go look at before I'd do an overhaul.

On the other hand I have a webpage I can park an article on.... I can create a folder and give you FTP access.

Okay, I'll review what I have, plan this out, then PM you.

The real question...

Have you ever got it back together and working properly?

Oh, yeah, works fine, accurate, no more bouncing/jittering, but looks fair.

Some calibration pics, and end result:

Attachments

• Tach41.jpg
    Tach41.jpg
    183.8 KB · Views: 223
  • Tach42.jpg
    Tach42.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 220
  • Tach43.jpg
    Tach43.jpg
    181 KB · Views: 238
  • TachFinal.jpg
    TachFinal.jpg
    236.3 KB · Views: 224
During my layoff a few years back I took the time to tear down the speedo in my '73 Dodge RV as well as the one in my '70 AMX. Both had started making horrible noises and bouncing around. All I really did was clean the gears and moving bits and apply very light machine oil-so far so good. On my TX, someone has been inside the tach, as the metal ring is all buggered up, but it appears to be reasonably accurate, so I'm inclined to let it be. Looking forward to more data on these units.

tadd442, Go to my album, its in there. This relates to the 74 and later gauges.

The 70-73 gauges are a hole new ball game. Have to sweet talk 2many:cheers::smoke::bed: by the looks of it. Here is a mob that makes new decals for the 72 gauges and the 74.

Back