Head and base gasket thickness ?

RatyXS

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
I may possibly have to pull the head/ jug to put a new timing chain in, not sure yet. I have been breezing through some posts and what not, have found some info on copper gaskets but. Just curious what is the thinnest head gasket and base gasket I can get away with to slightly bump compression and not have to degree the cam back in or run into piston to valve issues? It would seem once I would get into PTV clearance the cam would def have to be degree'd back in, I do not really want to get involved in that. Or is it even worth the minimal gain in compression to worry about? I think I may also clean the intake ports up, match the carb spacers/ boots and ports up. Not polish but a blend, ruff. Looking for some insight.

You can't drop the deck enough to bump compression significantly without retarding the cam timing enough to have quite an effect. In the first XS650 motor I fooled with, the deck was dropped .030" without moving the camshaft sprocket. There was a nasty flat spot around 3200 to 3500 rpm, but the high rpm power was fun; left me wishing I'd welded the crank so it could be wound up a little tighter.

So 030 should be doable with out any cam /degree issues ? My crank and all has been welded/ as well as rephased, so it will winde up tight. Thanks

Back