Head Gasket Leak? Top end rebuild?

VCPatel

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Friends,

I have a 78 Special with over 36000 miles that has nothing but pod filters [as far as I know].

It ran OKAY, and I was playing with carburetor settings only to find the left cylinder was being very difficult-- typically lots of sputtering and always seeming to run rich [black plugs].

Then, one day she just lost a lot of power-- seemed to go practically nowhere. Saw that there was oil accumulation on the outside of the "jug." It was/is pretty clear it's only coming from the top and bottom of the jug. When I start the engine- she will run, but very sporadically. Also-- the RPMs shoot up to about 4K and they stay there. White smoke comes out of the left cylinder.

Do these symptoms seem to correlate well with leaking head/base gaskets? In particular, the 4K RPM engine speed confuses me. I have been told that a very lean condition (from the gasket leak) could cause this, but the leak isn't large enough that the engine won't run.

Also-- the PCV outlet on the left [mine has two outlets] is blocked-- I don't know why. Should I unblock that sucker?

Initial thoughts are that I should go ahead and "rebuild" the top end with new gaskets and piston rings and misc. hardware. Are there any particular things to check before I commit to that route? I have tried torquing the heads, but it hasn't helped much. Just want to make sure I fix this problem and that it NEVER comes back. Want to enjoy at least SOME riding this summer [it's my first motorcycle].

Here's prob. the best pic I have of the old girl for now:

Here's a link from the "Tech" section at the top of the page.

http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=390

You need to read and learn. You have to do a few basic things such as a compression test or a leak down test. Also click on the "carb guide" link.

With high mileage engines that leak oil, you can either drive them and just keep cleaning up the oil mess, or you can do a proper top end re-build. The compression test or leak down test will help you decide the best way to go.

Check the cam chain adjuster cap nut on the back of the motor below the carbs. Sometimes it's o-ring goes bad and it starts to leak. The oil runs down the back of the motor and appears to be a base gasket leak.

Back