Headlamp not working

rainycity

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
This morning coming in my headlamp worked just fine then a co-worker asked if he could take the 650 and we when I turned on the key to start it my headlamp indicator came on (for the first time since I have owned it) so I said wow, and started it but my headlight never came on. Is that what the headlamp indicator light is for? To let you know its not working or is it going to be something else. I`ll look at when I get home but unfortunately I`m at work right now cant really go out there and work on it but I do need to ride it home tonight. I`m hoping its something like just a burned out bulb.

Last edited:
Theoretically yes that should indicate a burned out bulb ELEMENT, rare for high AND low to fail at the same time....
In practice the "headlight failure" module dies more often than the bulb so you need to check the bulb, then search for how to bypass the module if the bulb proves good. For suggestions it would help if we knew what year you bike is, and what electrical changes have been made, so far.

Sorry, It`s a completely stock 81 xs650 special.
No changes to anything except I swapped out the fuse box for a new one, but still the same wiring.
The highbeam didn`t worked when I got it last year. I`m going to sneak home along the back roads and hopefully when I get home
I`ll get lucky and it will only be the bulb since it`s really the only thing I have right now to get back and forth to work on.
I got my jeep sitting in pieces in my driveway.
I talked to the guy I got it from and he said he never did anything to it except tune it, change the oil etc.

If you have phillips and a piece of jumper wire, jumper cables you might check the bulb before you leave work.
After checking the fuse of course.

Pretty easy to test the headlight (which I bet is the issue). If the high beam is burned out, then that explains it not going on automatically with the burned out low beam. Get a new headlight, and I bet you'll be good as new.

Well, going home the head light indicator light went out and guess what, the headlight started working again so I`m pretty sure now that its a ground.
So now hopefully I can find it.

Your headlight fell out a bit back so also check for damaged wires or loose bullet connections or couplings. When you stuffed every thing back into the bucket you may have pulled something as well.

Hi rainycity,
what that system is supposed to do is when one headlight filament burns out it automatically switches to the other and lights up that big white warning light in the console to tell you the bulb has blown.
But if your high beam ain't been working since you got the bike and Sauron's Eye ain't been glaring at you until just now I'd reckon there's more than one problem to diagnose.
"Intermittent ground fault" Dontcha just hate 'em?

Back