Headlamp wont turn on!!! Again......

N8WAVES

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Ok so here is the deal I have a 1980 XS650 ("G" i think).

So recently in the past week i just got my bike back from the shop where I had my Stator, Reg/Rect and my Coil replaced along with a carb clean and gas tank clean. I got the bike back after a hefty bill and it ran perfect for two weeks. Last night all of a sudden after riding it to dinner i came out and started it but the headlamp did not turn on I flipped the high beam on it worked then flipped it off still no low beam then no high beam...so nothing! Also i never use my blinkers because they never work but i tried using them right before the bike was turned off. (could this have caused a short? maybe in the switch?) A year before this I had a problem with the headlamp and I bypassed the reserve lighting system and the the headlight worked fine until now. So now I'm stuck! Where do I look now? Connections? if not that then what? is there something else i can just bypass......I cant figure out why this headlamp is such a problem.

Please help and be specific!!

Thank you a lot in advance

The fuse panels on these bikes , while OK when new, are now worn out. Replace it with automotive blade type fuse holders. As weekendrider said, check the headlight fuse.

The Safety Relay on your bike acts as a switch to turn on the headlight. When the engine starts the alternator must produce enough voltage to activate the Safety Relay. With the headlight not working, it may mean the brushes are worn down to less tha 3/8". While you replaced electrical components, you did not mention the alternator rotor. It could be failing. Use your VOM to measure battery voltage. Wait a few minutes after starting the engine..............rev to 3000 rpm...........voltage should be up to roughly 14. 2 volts. With that volatge the safety relay should have turned on the headlight.

Back