Headlight Dilemma XS2

haterade

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, just finished painting the bike and trying to find a headlight rim for a 72 xs. I feel like i have searched everywhere under the sun for a month, and finally one popped up on ebay for just under 100 bucks to the door, which is insane to say the least. Does anyone have any input or sources on finding somewhat rare xs parts?

If worse comes to worse im thinking about ditching the original headlight bucket and going aftermarket. I would want all the wiring to connect in the back of the headlight bucket again. The "Lucas" style headlight on MikesXS looks promising. So basically im pretty much open to any ideas to get a working headlight on the cheap. Still in college :D

You could put almost any 7" bucket/light (From most Jap bikes) on there... and if you're not concerned (At least short term) on the originality, almost any XS complete light assembly should work as well, but I'm pretty sure you can't swap just the rim from other XS's as they are slightly different if I recall.

Then, you can take your time finding the correct rim for your stock bucket.

I believe '70 to '73 headlamp shells are the same. Later ones have a different configuration due to the exit angle of the speedo and tach cables being different on later XS's and the cables will foul.
Don't forget to search TX on ebay as well (that's how I found mine:) )

Yeah those early parts are tough. I have a watch on and am tempted at the $96 for an NOS, but the guy doesn't have great pics and NOS does not always mean super good shape, scratches, pitting etc are possible. Re-chrome of a pitted ring would run nearly that much and "most" rings have at least a couple of dings or boo boos. I'm getting early tins ready for mr paint and finding a complete set of good ready to paint parts is not that easy. I've been waiting for years to find a set of "fairly good, don't have to be great" XS1B side covers with original gold paint for a "survivor style" bike.

I may regret it but I have a XS2 and have some parts I may let go of.
I swapped out the full headlight for something different and don't really plan on going back to original. One filament in mine is bad but the rest is there. I sandblasted the bucket and rattle can painted it and it has a broken bottom tab to reduce vibration.
What parts or pieces are you interested in? I can snap a picture tonight if your interested.

Hey sdxs2,

I'd be interested in pretty much everything except the bucket which I have already painted to match my bike. I'd love to see some pictures and am very interested

light1.jpg

light2.jpg

One ding in the ring but it should clean up.

Hey guys I'm still looking at some options for the light. I think I'm going for an aftermarket piece. Seems like most units don't have a bottom mount like the original had and would only connect on the ears. Is this an adequate method to mount a light? Seems like it would need that three point connection to avoid movement.

Thanks!

I have that original bracket and everything, I am talking about how aftermarket units like the Lucas, emgo, and others don't look like they have a hole or mount to run the bottom connection. Is it just expected to drill and fab up a bracket to mount on the trees?

Back