Headlight Issues

blagave

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello, I am hoping that someone might point me in the right direction on a headlight issue. I have looked through the threads and have not found my problem.

I am running a high power LED light for the headlight and some smaller LED lights for running lights. After installing everything worked perfectly.

I purchased and installed electronic Tach/GPS speedo. Everything worked fine including the back-lit lights on gauge along with running/headlights. The battery went low on bike while testing, so I charged. Now the headlight, running lights and gauge lights don't work.....(no blown fuses during charge)

My bike is a 1980 and has the black ignition unit box and the light reserve box. I would like to know how to test the boxes and if I really need them. If I don't need them, what would be the proper re-wiring.

Thanks

Check your charging system (14-14.5v@3K rpms). Assuming you have the stock wiring, the bike needs to be running for the headlight to come on. The charging system sends power to the safety relay which allows the lights to come on after the bike starts. If your charging system is not working....no lights. Also not a good idea to leave the key on for extended periods of time while testing things.

Thanks Grinder for the info. I checked the charging system as outlined and everything checked out. I ended up pulling everything apart and checking all the grounds. After plugging the light reserve device back in, everything worked.

Old bikes.............old wiring harness................means all of your electrical connections, such as bullet connectors, fuse holders, kill switch, lights switch etc. have oxidized over time. They will plague you with intermittant electrical faults, unless you take the time to disconnect and clean each one. Time consuming but very worthwhile.

Back