Headlight stay for 75

This is crazy, everything about this (and my) bracket is right except that it doesn't travel far enough to the left to meet properly with the slot on the bottom of the headlight pot. I have to review everything again and see what I might have changes in the rebuild. May well be making my own.

Weird.

Thx again.

You said your forks are 36mm. You sure about that? If they really are then they are from some other bike, maybe along with the trees. If they are different trees, that headlight adjuster mount position may be different.

Getting kind of tired of saying this, but I have the correct stay, at least it's correct assuming that you have stock 34mm forks and a stock headlight.

OK Lakeview, I think I have the proof I need if you will do me one more favour. Measure the distance between the centre of the tree bolt heads on the third picture. Thats going to tell me if I have an original tree or not.

Thanks, and thanks to Dogbunny. You think you're frustrated?!?

Perhaps it's an XS750 fork, a fairly popular swap that has 36mm tubes. The one I have is most likely a 1977 XS750-D2 36mm tubes with HL bracket on it.

xs750 002.JPG

xs750 001.JPG

I have a 77 XS750 triple, it has 35mm forks and the yoke headlight stay bolt spacing is 32mm.

Shipper, This is a perfect example of some one asking questions, and not responding to answers or questions that arise from the op's questions, then expecting others to do a lot of work to satisfy the op when a pic or 2 + some help identifying suspected differences of the parts that may not be XS650 specific.

Help others help you.......................

The distance between the headlight mount bolts on the front of the
lower tree is 3 1/8 centre to centre. The cinch bolts on the lower tree on my stock bike are at the back and point out to the sides so if your cinch bolts look like the picture posted by Gary, then your front end has been changed.

There's our (my) problem boys. The pinch bolts on your pics (or at least the anchor bolts for the stay) looked narrow and guess what, they are. Mine are 140mm apart. What kind of Frankenstein tree did I get out of the box and not measure check it? Somebody said it might be a 750 which was a common swap out. Can someone measure pinch bolt width on a 750 tree for me?

The assistance has been much appreciated. Hopefully I get to see this through to the end before I lose it.

Thx

OK, OK, OK its my first Japanese rebuild! I got it in real tough shape a few years back and its been a fabulous project since. Just didnt know that the front end had been switched out before I got started. I should have clued in when I rebuilt the legs and bushings as the sizes were different from the book but everything seemed to fit so well with oversize up until the headlight stay. Really liked the emblem piece powder coated though - guess that should have been another clue.

Attachments

• Bottom tree 11.jpg
    Bottom tree 11.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 111
  • 650 2.jpg
    650 2.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 106
  • Bottom tree 13.jpg
    Bottom tree 13.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 102
  • P1010358.jpg
    P1010358.jpg
    221.8 KB · Views: 112
I think that may be a TX750 twin front end. It had 36mm tubes and that funky damper unit on the bottom of the lower tree. Like yours, it has no mounts on the front of the lower tree for a headlight adjustment stay, only mounts for the brake line junction block. If you look at everyone's other pics, you see (or should) that the mounts for these two items are separate, they don't share a mount like you seem to be trying to do.

The pic of these triples were id'd as TX for me a while back. Looking at your instruments they seem to look different from my XS650 so I pulled up my pic's of the mystery triples - look familiar?
Another tell is that the XS instruments are almost 4 " in diameter, the tach on my mystery is bigger.

Attachments

• SAM_2076.JPG
    SAM_2076.JPG
    293 KB · Views: 109
  • SAM_2073.JPG
    SAM_2073.JPG
    297 KB · Views: 106
  • SAM_2074.JPG
    SAM_2074.JPG
    278 KB · Views: 103
OK Lakeview, this is my instrument cluster. Admittedly it took some wire renovation but predominantly 75 650xs, at least from the book.

I'm thinking building some sort of stay off the one 10mm thread on the upper side of the lower tree. Now that we've left the "original" status behind - at least for the first run, I'm going with what I got.

Probably looking for more parts at a later date.

Always open to suggestions, thanks guys.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    243 KB · Views: 108
Hey Ggg, in your second (middle) picture there is a 10mm bolt sticking up on the top of the lower tree and holding some kind of metal piece. What is that for? Any chance it's a stay?

Available where? If it's a TX750 I can probably get one on Mikes, no? Unless you want to part with yours? It may well be my solution for the immediate problem. I want to kick this over bad.

In stock at gggGary's shed of ill repute and reclusive parts. $10.00 plus postage?

Back