Headlight stay for 75

Shipper

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hey Gents - I'm in desperate need of a headlight stay for my 75xs 650 rebuild. Been building for four years and Im ready to gas it but need just this one more bit before I can secure the front end. HELP!

Hi Shipper,
That's the tilt adjuster underneath, not the ears, right?
I checked, MikesXS don't list them. If you can't find one, make your own.
A strip of 3/4" x 1/16" flatbar whacked into an L-shape with one hole and one slot in it, some 1/4" bore flat rubber tap washers and some M6 fasteners is all you need.
Rattlecan black or aluminum.

Thanks fredintoon,

Fortunately ( or maybe unfortunately) it's not the flat metal piece under the head lamp I'm after but the piece that goes to it from the forks (lower crown brace).

I have made a temporary piece myself but it looks a little nasty and everything else on the bike is cherry so I'd really like to find an original if it's possible.

Thx again.

Hi Shipper
The first two pictures show the 2 spares I have, but I don't know if either is any good for you because I looked at the one on my '76 which is the last picture and not a spare. Looks like my spare items are only half of what you need.

Attachments

• SAM_2386.jpg
    SAM_2386.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 195
  • SAM_2390.jpg
    SAM_2390.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 199
  • SAM_2389.JPG
    SAM_2389.JPG
    287.9 KB · Views: 200
lakeview, your last pic is correct for Shipper's 1975; your first two pics are for 1977 and later years.

Thank you sir for the confirmation, I thought so, but thought I would send pics just in case it was useful.

Is it possible you are both right? Found a Technical Bulletin swapping out the two piece stay 447-84318-01-00 for which I have been searching all over, for 447-84318-02-00 (single piece) which I have found in my slag heap.

Thanks again for the assistance in straightening this out. I will keep your message and offer on hand in case I can't make the swap out work.

regards,

ShipperView attachment tb4 (1).pdf

Well, yes and no.
First of all, and not to split hairs, but they are all "one piece," but some are one bolt and some are two bolt.
My 76 has a one bolt stay, but it is not the one in Shipper's first two pictures. I'll repeat what I wrote before, Shipper's one bolt stays are for 1977 and later models (models with 35mm forks).
The one bolt stay on my 1976 attaches to the steering yoke to the RIGHT of the headlight, and it is about half as long as the 1977 and later stays which attach to the LEFT of the headlight. You can see what I mean about the left of the steering yoke in Shipper's pics.
The Tech bulletin is interesting, but I haven't read it yet, nor do I have time to attach a pic of my 1976 stay, but I think what you are looking for is either a two bolt stay or the correct (short) right-side one bolt stay.
I do have a spare one bolt stay of the type you need. If you can't find one in Canada then PM me your postal code and I'll send you a quote and a pic.

Thanks DogBunny. Appreciate the diagnosis but the piece in Lakeview's second pic is the one that I have and that means it came off my bike. It is odd because it just doesn't look like it wants to reach all the way across to the headlight slot for attachment. Will work on it and reply with my findings.

thx again - most helpful.

Sorry, got user names mixed up in my last post.
Okay, you made me take a pic. Attached is my 76. Stay is half as long as Lakeview's and bolts on the right side. If you have 34mm forks this is what you need. If a previous owner put 35mm forks on your bike then you need Lakeview's.

Attachments

• DSC07382.JPG
    DSC07382.JPG
    142.1 KB · Views: 205
Thanks Man, a picture's worth a thousand words. That's definately not my stay. Mine is more like Lakeviews from the other side. It also conforms with the Technical Bulletin I found.

Would you believe my forks are 16mm?

Ha-ha, no, I do not believe that your forks are 16mm.
If you are interested in my spare one PM me your postal code.

This was asked 2 years 18 days ago and i answered with a pic of my 75 light bracket brace.

Although the OP had logged in after my post, there was never any follow up.

I only come to realize this when i went searching for some pic of the bike for identification purposes to aid with answers.

How any one expects to get good help full answers without ever posting a pic is beyond me. Maybe that is why there has been very few responses to the numerous threads started.

Lakeview,

Do me a big favour Lakeview and give me the measurement of the stay in your second photo. I need to know length in particular. That stay is the one listed in the Technical Bulletin M5-090 replacement for the factory OEM. part # 447-84318-02-00

By length I mean distance from right of bottom bolt hole direct lateral to far end of attachment bolt hole

Thx

Attachments

• Stay3.jpg
    Stay3.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 164
Last edited:
Here you are. I compared it to my 76 and it will not be right as the bend (see arrow) above where it is mounted on the triple mount goes up higher on this bracket, which means that the mount on the early headlight is too low to bolt on unless you are checking for roosting birds.
Hope you can make sense of my explanation.

Attachments

• SAM_2410.JPG
    SAM_2410.JPG
    287.5 KB · Views: 171
  • SAM_2407.JPG
    SAM_2407.JPG
    288.6 KB · Views: 166
  • SAM_2408.JPG
    SAM_2408.JPG
    290.1 KB · Views: 183
  • SAM_2409.JPG
    SAM_2409.JPG