Hello, all...

TeeCat

One-Mik Wonder
Reaction score
Hi, all...

TC here on a referral from the Garage, and from 650.Rider. I just learned of this place and really hope it takes off. I'll be doing more asking than contributing, but maybe I can do at least some of the latter.

Some of you may already be familiar with my '73... hope to have a little bit of a hunting idle and occasional decel pop sorted by spring, and then I hope I'll be able to really enjoy the bike as opposed to just doing dial-in/diagnostic rides.

Thanks to the owners/admins and mods for starting this forum!

TC

Hi, crash. :) Thanks for the interest. I just started a gallery. I have some "before" pics at home. This is a resto-mod project, basically, since I got the bike in August of '07. The bike was just neglected, basically - in the wrong hands - and it's been slow, but thanks to the peeps at the Garage and 650Rider, I'm getting there.

TC

TeeCat, welcome!

You can edit thread titles for up to 24 hours. After that, it would need to be done by a moderator. You need to be in the advanced editor to do it though so click 'Edit' then 'Go Advanced'. I think Hell, all... was more entertaining though! :laugh:

Nice looking ride! but what are those things by the headpipes? :umm:

- i think theyre supposed to be air collectors for cylinder cooling :shrug: ive never seen that before :bike:

Thanks, Travis et al... :)

Yup, they're cooling plenums. Per a discussion with PamcoPete regarding his original idea (he used a dryer vent on his mule), I tried to make it pretty. I plan to get a thermometer and take some readings this coming season. I added a couple more pics of them to my gallery, just so you have an idea of how they're mounted. The parts are from Spectre Automotive.

TC

full

full

full

Hey TeeCat, welcome...........Good to see you still kicking, the site is a welcome addition and is building up a good tech menu The new year has bought out all the old 650riders so you should feel at home :thumbsup:

Interesting idea. I don't know how much of a difference they'd make at any speed though... If the cylinders are pushing air, the air will already travel around the front and front sides of the cylinder. I think it would be better to have them wrap 180 degrees around the side of the cylinders (not too close) and force some air to move around in the back of the motor... :shrug:

G'day TC, about bloody time you showed up, slow poke! :laugh:

It's all pretty cool here, this site has a nice vibe...Dunno, we might need to start screening the refugees as they come in now......Check if they are genuine :D

:cheers:

Hi, yami! :) Hi, you other lot! :)

Travis... I seem to recall that Pete recorded about a 20^-degree temp drop, at least on the right side. We shall see!

The different pot temperatures was vigorously discussed at 650rider and . the specific cause has been an unknown and then Pamcopete discovered that when eyeballing the front that the left hand header pipe sits slightly wider out than the right, because the side case on the Stator side is wider, it looks as though Yamaha moved that header out or the right in to give the impression of a balanced look in relation to the cases. Due to the right side header being just that much closer in, it inhibits the air flow between the front forks and the motor
I know XSjohn did a lot of temperature readings with a lazer thermometer around the head and barrels and he come up with a consistent variation between the left and right barrels. XSjohn has built his needles for this specific problem and they allow just a little bit more fuel in the right side to cool down that cylinder

Back