Hello from Richmond, BC... Need help

Lloyd

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hello every one. I'm fairly new to XS650 and especially from custom building.
I have a '80 XS650 that I've hard tailed (for 200 tire) and raked 38 degrees. As of now everything has been sitting as it is after the modification. I just feel like I bit more than I can swallow. I was hoping someone from lower mainland would be interested in helping me finish my project. I'm getting tired of looking at my bike in pieces. I WANT TO RIDE IT!!!! Anyone wanna help a brother out to get back on 2 wheels?! Please...:er:

Thanks in advance:cheers:

Welcome fellow canuck! Is it time for a "shipping costs to Canada" rant! Friggin insane. A $13 set of controls from scallywag, $39 usps to $24 fedex, then add duty/tax.
mmm... Cyrus, shipping address in Blaine, pop on down for a little cheese, gasoline, bingo bango boingo. All good buddy, Actually there's a business there for you if you're interested... I would outta buffalo but its like $10 to turn my F250 over never mind get it to buffalo... Anyone in Niagara falls, Fort Erie want to weigh in?

A plan; look everything over and find something, ANYTHING, that YOU can do, then DO it. Everyday spend at least 1/2 hour, even if it's just sanding filing off weld spatter, everyone can do something... That will help you find the next bit and once you have the tools in hand you will gain confidence and it will take shape. Good luck.

Thanks for the boost of confidence guys. I'm fairly new to the forum so I'm gonna do a lot of catching up and learning from the great builds in here. So far I've been reading up a few builds and I'm learning a lot from them.

Justzx, I'll try to post some pics on the week end. I have to dig my bike out of the garage. That's not to far away, I work in Vancouver area. That would be awesome if I can pick your brain or even better, if you could lend me a hand with my build if that's cool with you and if you got the time.

Last edited:
A start would be to be actually working on it. Sounds like it's sitting idle buried in a shed. Sorry for busting your balls but it's not gonna build itself. I'm surprised that everyone has been so easy on you.

A start would be to be actually working on it. Sounds like it's sitting idle buried in a shed. Sorry for busting your balls but it's not gonna build itself. I'm surprised that everyone has been so easy on you.

I think I've figured that it wouldn't build it self hence the asking for help part...
As for working on it, I have done a few things to it already. I've done the hard tail and not just a DIY kit hard tail. It's actually a full on custom hard tail. Relaced my front hub with a 23" Honda rim. Started working on the jack shaft idea but decided to go with Garry's offset instead. Then my first baby came along that's when everything came to a hault. It doesn't help that my second one popped out not too long after. So it's pretty much all hands on deck with those 2 rug rats. Now that they are abit older I have more "free" time to work on my bike.
Maybe it's unfair to just say I need help with out having any details of the build. I should have been abit more specific with the help that I needed. I need help with the electrical department because I have no clue what's going on with it. I've been reading up on Pamco or Hugh's PMA and have no clue what it's for and what it does. All I know is its good for the bike if you got the $$. As for the rest of the bike, I'm pretty sure I can manage.

Listen dude, I started my build right after my second was born. Don't know what i was thinking. If you want it hard enough, it will come. Just got to chop away at it with no deadline. All the stuff you need to know is on here and common sense. Just do your homework. you'll figure it out. If you have any questions, P.M me. i'll gladly help you out.

- - - I need help with the electrical department because I have no clue what's going on with it. I've been reading up on Pamco or Hugh's PMA and have no clue what it's for and what it does. All I know is its good for the bike if you got the $$. As for the rest of the bike, I'm pretty sure I can manage.

Hi Cyrus,
your '80 has the no points ignition system and that's as simple as a stone axe so stay with it.
With luck a set of replacement alternator brushes will be all that's needed to set a stock system right and even if you have to replace the complete spark factory with used parts it will cost you less money than buying a PMA/Pamco.

Back