Hello from Richmond, VA

Jayar

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hey there. I love the site. Great job.

I recently got into messing with bikes and have started building them for co-workers (I work at an ad agency in Virginia) and friends locally. If they pay for parts, I'll do the work as long as I can do what I want :thumbsup:

Anyway, here are a couple of pics of the two XS650's I've done over the past year. The '82 is still a work in progress. The '79 is pretty much done.

The '82 has an '04 Suzuki RMZ dirtbike front end with a Warp 9 Supermoto wheel. I powdercoated the back wheel to match and laced with stainless spokes.

I absolutely love 650's and working on these old bikes, in general. Lots of inspiration on this site. Thanks.

The '82:
_H3I1185_FIN.jpg

The '79:
_H3I1233_FIN.jpg

Here's a link to the '82 on my moto blog. More pics and other bikes on there.

http://www.johnryland.posterous.com

Thanks for looking!

JR

holy TITS those are sick!

would really like to know what all is involved in putting the sport bike front end on!

if its in the blog....im already on it!

oh yea and WELCOME!!!

Thanks guys!

I'll try to post some more pics that show the bikes better.

Alfredo: Which chrome shop do you use? The one across from Buzz & Ned's??

We have a Facebook group Called RVA Cafe Moto Culture with a bunch of local members. Definitely sing up if you get a chance. We usually hit Poe's Pub on 2nd sunday of each month (early, like 9:30am).

I have an idea about chroming gas tanks then brushing them so they look like stainless. Keeping those things rust free without clear coating is a PAIN.

Anyway, glad you guys like 'em. Thanks!

JR

Nah. Not hat one, didn't even know there was one there. Saw a moto shop and a tattoo place. I always use Hanlon Plating. Have been building cars with my father and he has been using them since the 70's. Real old school guys that deliver zero bs and the right price.

Will do man. Just gotta get my ride done. Just joined up on the facebook group and will be checking it out regularly now.

Hi Jayar....you have two very nice bikes there! I just joined the forum and noticed that you live in Richmond. I live up near Charlottesville and am picking up my first XS650 this week if everything goes to plan. I found a real nice '79 Standard with less than 8K miles down in Tidewater area. After checking everything over, I plan to turn it in to a cafe racer over the winter. I've been working on bikes for many years but haven't done much fabrication or modification work since back in the 70's with Honda 450, Triumphs and various two strokes. I'm looking forward to working on the XS and learning a lot of things!
Just wanted to say "hi" and let you know that there is another XS guy in your area.

jackstraw... Great to know there are like-minded folks within a reasonable distance! Sounds like you found a nice bike. If it was on Craigslist at any point, I'm sure i've seen it, as I'm constantly combing the classifieds within a couple hundred miles of Richmond.

I ride up towards Charlottesville pretty often when I actually get out of the garage (not often enough). When you get your new wheels, you'll have to join us.

And like i told Alfredo, Poe's Pub biker brunch is happening in a week (Sunday, 11/14) down in Shockoe Bottom in Richmond. Always a good eclectic mix there.

If you're on Facebook, you should join (or at least peruse) this group. Cafe folks from all over VA/DC.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=121371697901674

Keep in touch! JR

Thanks, JR! I would like to come down for the brunch....probably can't make it this month but will try in December. Lots of great biking roads around here, we will have to get together for that.
Take care,
Phil

so nice to see my bike on here! Thanks JR. mine is the 79 with the red seat. would still be in the shed if not for JR's skill.

I do like that second bike a lot. I've had the Cafe itch since I finished my BritXS . . that second bike had a look I like. Congrats!!

Man I love the look of your bikes they are a great inspiration. I am in D.C working on a 75 650B. Its going to be a long haul for me. since I am no mechanic so I love seeing what can be done. So welcome from another new guy. I might actually be able to make it to brunch once the weather changes.

Dozuki I'm currently builing a 80 tracker let me know if you get stuck anywhere I have pretty good setup out here in sterling. also have a pretty good powder coating set up as well.

Dozuki I'm currently builing a 80 tracker let me know if you get stuck anywhere I have pretty good setup out here in sterling. also have a pretty good powder coating set up as well.

RFLIVES. Be careful what you offer I might just take you up on it LOL. I usually go from one stuck spot to another.:doh: Actually I have been debating striping my 75 all the way down to the fram and getting a fresh powdercoat and building it back up.

Posted via Mobile

Hi Jayar! I am in Richmond area as well. I currently have a stock 81 650 but am going to bratstyle/bobber it. Love the pics and would love to catch up with ya about the build, I have a TON of question, lol!

Back