Hello , Just got a new old motorbike.

Square Circle

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
... I've been way too excited about getting my first street bike. I just sold an old car, got a few bucks and picked up a rough running 79.. its petcocks need rebuilt , gas tank is rusty, and carbs " were" dirty.
I have to say this forum and some of the online shops catering to the xs650 has played a big part in my choice of motorcyle. Thanks to all who help put this site in gear and for all who help out!!. I am a carpenter and home remodeler.. not a mechanic ... more of a " parts changer " when it comes to machines.
So far the tech section of this forum (specificly the carburetor) has been very helpful in the rebuild of my bs38s... compared to modern fuel delivery systems, carbs are suppossed to be simple, but to me going into the rebuild was a little scary... After printing out the how to and spec sheets put together by "5 Twins", I now feel like i've made some great accomplishment by understanding how the" gas maker" works and actually doing the work myself .. I think i might have just as much fun in rebuilding this thing as in riding it... Can't wait to get it on the road.. :D

Attachments

• SAM_0185.jpg
    SAM_0185.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 89
  • SAM_0181.jpg
    SAM_0181.jpg
    204.1 KB · Views: 96
  • SAM_0182.jpg
    SAM_0182.jpg
    176 KB · Views: 107
Welcome to the site Square Circle. Another miseryian 2.
I think you may be the 6th or 7th guy from St Louis or close.
The carbs look like you did good work.
Even got the right choke plate in the right place.:thumbsup: :D

Welcome to the site Square Circle. Another miseryian 2.
I think you may be the 6th or 7th guy from St Louis or close.
The carbs look like you did good work.
Even got the right choke plate in the right place.:thumbsup: :D

Thanks for the welcome and compliment. Im not too sure what a you mean by "choke plate", i took apart the choke linkage rod and put it back the way it was at the factory screw set stops. Replaced choke plunger even though old one wasn't that bad after soaking it in solvent. I reused the existing plunger spring(seemed stiffer than the aftermarket one that was supplied in rebuild kit). I purchased a soda blaster system from harbor freight.. it works great getting rust out of the nooks and crannies, especially screw heads.
Would you happen to know what the best set up is for jet size when switching to K&N(xs performance knock off) air filter pods? Or do i need to worry about it? If the engine is sound enough, id like to upgrade to a 2 to 1 exhaust from mikes or the Mac..
.....jetting will obviosly need to be tweaked then.:)

I installed my Brembo front M.C tonight. I got the 11 MM bore and also put on stainless lines. Problem though with the light switch. It did not come with any connectors or a boot. The OEM connectors wont fit up not its boot.. I found some stuff at autozone. I used some gold plated female disconnects .110"... (part number 84541) I took a torch and melted off the color coded ends , as they were too thick to mate up with the brembo switch. cleaned them up with a small drill bit, put shrick wrap over the main switch leads and casing , made connections, slid the wrap over the switch leads . I also picked up some bypass caps(extra large barb caps)in the help section (part # 02253) i took a cheap 3/16 round phillips head screw driver heated with torch untill red hot and melted a clean hole through the round end of the rubber cap.. i slid the rubber cap over the wire casing first and before i made any connections .. then the shrick wrap of switch leads.. the rubber bypass cap fits happily over the brass switch stem. ( nice water proof seal). it seats snuggly over the casing of wires too.. looks very clean and way better than the factory melted crimp on the casing... around the base of the oem switch boot... I will be posting pics of the finished look later on.. I just bled the brakes and they already feel way much better than stock.. MMM at 650 central said to high side the left /mc side of hadlebars to get the fine bubbles to rise out into the MC.. and to keep the reservoir shut and to tap on the brake line occasionally to help out the micro bubbles.. i should have a rock solid pull by morning.

Back