Hello ...

numnum

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello forum ..First post ,, bit of a ramble .. umm .... I was sitting on my tea break watching an arrow system I was selling and somehow ended up with a XS650 thats had some modification . I rode it home 120 miles which gave me some time to aclimatise .. First off it is definatley a touch slower than my KTM and fireblade but i was expecting that . Now I have had a hunt around using the search facility and the words clutch and slip .. It seems to be quite popular so I guess slippage is normal mine is worse when the bike is cold ?? Is the bike/clutch oil sensitive ? What oil do you chaps use?? I have in the garage Hlafords 10/40 semi own brand stuff .. Rock oil synthesis 10/60 ,silkloene V-Twin 10/50 fullsynth ,castrol 4t semi .. If any of those are good it would help??? if not I guess its more cans in the garage .? Anyways sorry for being a nob and my first post is with questions and askins about the dull and mundane .

Welcom, Yes the wrong oil will make your clutch slip. The tech menu has awealth of knowledge, and use the search feature as well as this has been discussed plenty of times. A lot of differnt oils from deisel to motorbike specific oils can be used. Need to stay away from modern friction modified oils, zinc based oils seem to work well.
Oil thread

Welcome. If you are going to own an XS this the place to get answers, from the other guys, I'm STILL trying to figure it out.

Welcome from across the pond. Yes, the wrong type of oil will cause clutch slippage, as 650 stated. Also, on a 30 + year old bike, clutch springs have had their go decades ago. I went with the haevy duty set with new screw set from MIKE'S XS.com. I also use diesel engine oil, Shell Rotella 15/40. It has been really good for both longevity and cheap. Do not use synthetic oil's, as they are too slippery.

Hello and welcome. Have you played with the adjustment as per the manual? Also, any stiction at all in the cable doesn't help. Might still lag a bit behind the 'Blade even with the clutch sorted, but XSs are kinda addictive...might be an illness....

Thanks for the welcome folks .. My plans for the bike are a bare metal street tracker type thing . Today I will be going to Halfords and buying many many items of cosmetic nature plus some diesel oil and see how that helps the clutch .I will also ,straighten the forks up in the yokes ,strip clean and bleed the front calipers as one seems to bite more than the other .It starts and runs great first kick with no smoke or nasty noises a suprisingly quiet engine for it age .Gears all work as they should . Seems to be mostly cosmetic,frame parts issues with my bike .

Add on edit ... I am noticing there is every combination of brakes available .. I have twin discs up front and a drum at the rear . I see disc is also available for the rear or single caliper up front . Are shoes for the rear drum readily available ? Are there variations in the age of the drum or was it kept the same through the productuon run ?

Yes, parts are available. Mike's has allot, and they ship overseas. If you want disc all around, you will have to change the rear wheel to one for the disc, as the bolt pattern and offset are different. Along with a bunch of other parts. The dual disc up front is more than adequate for stopping. All the brake parts,( rebuild kit's, pads, shoes, hardware) are all available from Mike's or 650 central.

Back