Helmets

Actually he crossed the Delaware River. Which is not in the state of Delaware.
Ya, Delaware has some crazy laws. The problem stems from our beaches. The state is swarmed with vacationers during the summer. Tons of people from Jersey, PA, and Maryland come here. And as everyone knows people on vacation don't give a crap. It's not their state, so who cares. The state got tired of free-for-alls and laid down some crazy laws. Huh, I am a poet...and did not know I was. We do have a bunch of upsides to this though. No sales tax. They don't tax your retirement. If you are over, I think, 62, your taxes are reduced (they don't charge you the school taxes anymore). Though the DMV is sometimes a pain, usually the inspection guys (too much exhaust inhalation), it is quite fast. We even have a drive-thru at the DMV. Normal title and registartion time is less than 20 minutes. Our motorcycle safety course is $50.00 resident, $200.00 out of state, compared to Maryland, which is manditory and over $300.00 for resident. Complete and total fishing license with trout stamp is $18.00. $10.00 without stamp.
It's not too bad. And during the off season all the turds go back to their own state.

I'd rather be dead then paralyzed from the neck down.

I feel the same way and that is why I DON'T wear one ... Maine has a helmet law for anyone under 16, riding on a permit or for the first year of your motorcycle license. Other than that its "let those who ride decide" ... I do wear my full face if the temp is 40 deg or less but that is only because it keeps my face warmer than without one.

I find it amusing that a helmet law would read that you have to have it on the bike, not on your head. Are they concerned about the bike's safety? What exactly is the point?

I spent many years road racing SCCA, Sears Point, Laguna Seca mostly, and have been riding motorcycles since 1973. The evidence is overwhelming that a good helmet, preferably Snell approved, is the best, and cheapest, insurance you can buy. Yeah, there is always the slight possibility that a truck will run over you and snap your neck, but odds are it would have no matter what you were or weren't wearing. I always wore a helmet, even before California had a helmet law.

Get a GOOD helmet, and wear it on your head, not the bike!

DLD1

Its funny but most everyone has there own style of helmet that they like to wear. I rode alot in DELAWARE and PA and both don't have helmet laws but i still got to get home and need a helmet to cross the bridge back to dirty NJ. I may have put more miles than most on a bike and been hit with rubber off a truck tire/tomattos/stones/bugs/you dumb people that think your car is a trash can and toss things out you sun roof. So helmet is a key factor but in some states you need KELVAR SUIT HAHA. I hit a car in 1983 in phills doing 50 MPH and died on the way to the hosipital from head injuries and helmet did its job but it was a full helmet with open face and i destroyed car bike body and was brought back with this big ass needle stuck in my chest and got last rights and all that good stuff but wasn't my time and HELL was full so it took a long time to recover and as crazy as i was back then while i was recovering i bought drag bike so when i got out i could go racing.So helmet gloves boots NOTHING is going to help if your ride like a dummy SPLATT YOUR DONE!!! CAR ALWAYS WINS. WEAR A HELMET GIVE THAT EGG ON YOU BODY A SMALL CHANCE

Wow, that was a long sentence. I even had to take a breath.
I agree with the riding like a dummy. I love to hear the people around here bitch about the cops. (mostly vacationers) Well, don't go 100mph, zig-zagging thru traffic. Sitting at a red light, frying your tire off, brings attention to you. The wrong attention. And then, of course, the cars with drivers looking at everything but the road. "Look at the ass on that....." **SMACK!!** right into someone.
Idiots

Suomy full face almost all of the time....some times ill bust out my HCI (Retro in look only) with the ear flaps and goggles for the yamaha....but MOST of the time....it's my full face.

Ducati jacket, gloves of some kind, and my Alpine stars half boots. Need the boots for fast shifting on my Ducati. Usually my Alpine stars shoes for the KLR....boots are to hard to use with it.

A minor spill with a full face can be pretty ugly with a lid. My wife is an MSF instructor....seen lots of minor full face damage that would have messed up a face good.

Don't need to, but wear full face "most of the time" It's a rural area and I am not beyond going bare (head) for a slow ride of a summers eve. Helmets have extended my life span by at least 40 years so far.
It wouldn't kill me if it killed me but I'd just die if I were paralysed.

Don't bite my head of now. I see a lot of guys wearing all the correct gear, and that is great, but what's with not having any turn signals. Helmet...check. Reflective tape...check. Boots...check. Guess I'll hope the person can forsee the direction I'm going. And hand signals do work. If the driver knows what they are. When I went through my MSF course, half the people in the class, a motorcycle class, couldn't hand signal "right". Idiots thought making an "L" shape with your arm was left and using your right hand to point right was right, but that is wrong. Fact: One of the most common phrases drivers say after they hit a biker is, "I didn't even see him".

One of the most common phrases drivers say after they hit a biker is, "I didn't even see him".

To which I always respond "Why not? Was he invisible?" It pisses me off that .001 over the limit and kill somebody and lose your license for life, but if you were driving with your eyes closed, no charges and no big deal.

And...I bet if you went to prison _anytime_ you killed someone with your car, people would drive a lot more safely. Which means people don't mind killing somebody as much as they don't want to go to prison. Sad condition.

Good point. It's an excuse that works. So, don't give 'em an excuse. You get hit, even if it's their fault, and you have no signals, brake lights, ect they have a perfect excuse and get away with it.

Last edited:
Bill, you might try a German Army style helmet, less padding and DOT approved. Try Moto Direct .com, see if anything there interest's you.
Anyone, if you get hit, or fall off, chance's are your face is gonna hit the ground first. Saw a study on this very subject about 2 years ago, with super slow- motion and all, what an amazing documentary. With that said, I prefere to have a choice if I am going to wear a helmet or not. Same should apply to a seat belt, but Big Brother say's I HAVE TO wear a seat belt. I know they save live's and all that, but, it is MY life, and if I make a wrong choice, oh well. At least I had a choice. When I got my license, seat belt's were an option in a car.

I have this helmet. It rocks.

I have the dark smoke sun visor instead of the light smoke one it comes with. I also have the large size cheek pads instead of the medium ones. Apparently the shells for both the M and L are the same, it's just the pads that are different. $35 for a new set of pads and you basically have two sized helmets. Or you can mix and match parts like I did to make it fit your head better.

Scorpion EXO-1000 Matte Black

Attachments

• 2009_Scorpion_EXO-1000_Helmet_Matte_Black.jpg
    2009_Scorpion_EXO-1000_Helmet_Matte_Black.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 127
The Scorpion series is amazing for what you pay. It's the best protection you can get for under $250 bucks. Look on the internet for good deals, I just picked up another exo-700 for 80 bucks shipped just to have on hand. Read up on them if you're looking for a helmet. 100% recommended by me.

^ agreed. Mine was just over $300 but it has the built in flip down sun visor and pump up cheek pads to justify the higher price. I never use the cheek pump thing but I love the sun visor!

I think in Delaware they want you to have a helmet with you so if when you see your going to be in a incident, you can stop and put your helmet on then proceed to have your incident.
Notice I didn't say accident. I don't believe in accidents. Every incident Is caused by something or some one. Usually by some one who does something stupid.

Well, they do call where I live...Lower Slower Delaware. Usually the beach areas have the younger crowd. Where I live, a little west of the ocean, the average age is 200. The average car crash speed is "parked". The biggest news in 2 months was that Bertie, over on Ringbolt Rd., won $25.00 bucks on her first card at the VFW bingo.
It's slow enough that you can call the cops right before you get hit.

Back