Help! 2 problems after assembly!

Benjamoid

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
So I have 2 weird problems after I put my side covers on last night..

1: After the right side cover went on my kickstart feels disengaged from the motor.. I have had it on a few times before and it felt fine, but after I put on the cover last night there is very little resistance as compared to before. I havent pulled the cover back off yet, just wondering if this is kinda common?

2: I installed mikes 1 piece clutch rod and now when I put my left side cover on it disengages my clutch.. I am wondering if I was supposed to have 1 ball on each end of the shaft(dirty)? Or if I should have left the balls out completly and just installed the shaft?(even dirtier)

Thanks for any advice.

If the kick start shaft pulled out when you removed the right side cover then you have lost the preload tension on the return spring. Instructions for installing the shaft and preloading the spring are in the factory shop manual.

The long rod replaces the 2 short ones and the ball between them. You want the ball deep inside the engine to stay and also the one in the worm gear. Many times when making this change, the adjuster on the worm gear needs to be re-set. If you're sure you have the correct number of balls installed then just do a worm gear screw adjustment.

Yes the kick shaft did come out, and I have a shop manual, so I should be able to figure it out.

I had the side covers powdercoated, so I had to remove the worm gear. This problem didnt start untill I went to reinstall, also this is the first time I have installed it with the cable hooked up.. It goes on fine if the cable is not attached to the lever, but then there is only like half an inch of cable left at the other end. when the cable is attached to the lever the cover only goes on part way then I have to use the screws to tighten it all the way up, thats when the clutch gets disengaged..

Make sure the rod is installed correctly. One end is stepped and that end faces out and sticks into the worm gear. The other unstepped end won't fit into the worm gear and would cause a problem like you're describing. If everything is correct then just loosen the worm gear adjustment screw and re-set the adjustment once the cover is on.

Yep the rod is installed correctly. Is the adjuster screw under the little chrome cap that snaps into the outside of the cover?

Yes, loosen the locknut and back the screw way out so the cover goes on, then re-set. Instructions for setting that are in the manual as well but most of us set it a bit tighter than the spec. Spec says to back the screw out 1/4 turn after it makes contact with the rod, we only back it off 1/8 turn or so. Loosen the adjuster up at the hand lever fully before doing the worm gear screw adjustment.

Awesome, thanks for all your help! And for not making fun of me for asking if im supposed to put the balls in the hole with the shaft. Haha

Back