Help a newbie whos about to give up!

mfuller

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Got an 81 xs650 that we installed a rebuilt 79 xs650 engine on. finally got it put back together and trying to start it and the starter just grinds. sounds like its not engaging. the bikes been sitting for awhile, before i pull off the starter is there anything i can check?

There's a spring under the right case cover that engages the gears for the starter. This spring loses its tension and allows the starter to grind. Some people have had luck taking the spring off and re-tensioning it in a vise. I tried it, and it worked a lot better, but didn't completely fix the problem.

It would have been better to have left it in.

Part #24-6522 at mikes http://www.mikesxs.net/products-28.html#products
Starter Gear Repair Kit - If your starter kicks out when engaged or makes a rattling sound & will not engage, it is usually the gear that engages with the one on the crank has worn its teeth out (problem is actually not in the starter motor but in the drive train system to the crankshaft, like an Auto bendix drive). This repair kit is the solution ! Kit contains: 1pc. 447-15516-00 Gear 4 (Starter gear), 1pc. 90468-29062 Clip - (Spring clip for starter gear), 1pc. 90501-15409 Spring, compression - (starter gear spring). Fits: All 650's 1972-84. This gear assembly is located behind the leading edge of the clutch hub and is easy to change (Clutch cover & clutch hub assembly removal necessary).

full

Got an 81 xs650 that we installed a rebuilt 79 xs650 engine on. finally got it put back together and trying to start it and the starter just grinds. sounds like its not engaging. the bikes been sitting for awhile, before i pull off the starter is there anything i can check?

http://sarge.650wiki.org/..............Tips and Tricks................Electric Starter

The spring that needs tightening is the wishbone shaped one between parts 8 and 9 in the diagram I am Carbon posted.
Here's a pic of where to squeeze the spring.
It should take at least 5 lbs of force to turn the spring around the gear.
The spring needs this foce to hold the gear from turning until it slides over to engage the crank.
This lack of force is what wears the gears out.
Leo

Attachments

• starter spring 001 (640x480).jpg
    starter spring 001 (640x480).jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 126
I just found this, searching for my "own" problem, and it sounds the same: if I engage starter with plugs out, it spins nicely and evenly, but when I put in the plugs and it gets "loaded", it kicks out pretty randomly... so this little wishbone thingy is the solution, eh? I will try that.... I had the bottom end opened up to replace a gear set, had the starter out and the gears/teeth/starter motor were all just fine... so mebbeeee this is the culprit!

Thanks!

:thumbsup:

Back