Help... Battery won't hold charge

Thanks for the insight... I'll check out some of the pma threads..

In the meantime I pulled off the rotor and checked the stator, found a bid problem - the 3 yellow wires that run from the stator to the voltage reg/ reg had loosened up and the rotor sliced thru them, 2 of them.

So I cut and soldered them back together, heat shrinked, and put a zip tie to hold them in close and out of reach from the rotor.

But when I started the bike, still no difference in voltage? Did I screw up the reg/ rec when the wires got cut???

So here's where I'm at...

Had the battery load tested - it's good
Hugh sent me a new stator - plugged everything in
Same reg/rec

Started the bike up and road it around the neighborhood, when I came back to the garage the voltage dropped to 11.7

With the bike idling its at 11.7, rev it up still at 11.7

This is telling me my reg/ rec if bad??? Any way I can test it to know forsure??

Thanks

It's possible the rec reg has been knackered. Pleased to know you found the issue with the wires! I would bite the bullet and try a different rec reg. most five wire rec reg units off modern bikes will work, at least to test your charging system is functioning through

Ya I'm thinking its the reg/rec since the battery has been tested and came back good and I just put on the brand new stator..

Any idea what the output on the stator should be? (Off the 3 yellow wires)

I'll probably need to order and new reg/ rec unit from Hugh or find one for a PMA system since I don't have any laying around here

Scott,

I'll send you a new regulator, you might have fried the old one when the wires on the stator rubbed through. Always make sure your wiring is free of moving parts :)

Hugh

Is it psssible that when the wires got cut it shorted out the stator? With the repaired wires, have you checked the ohms of the stator wires? To each other as well as to ground?
Leo

Is it psssible that when the wires got cut it shorted out the stator? With the repaired wires, have you checked the ohms of the stator wires? To each other as well as to ground?
Leo

Yeah, he shorted the stator for sure, I sent him another Stator last week.

Back