HELP can’t bleed new brake system

OHRider

XS650 Junkie
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Installed new master cylinder, Brembo caliper and line. Can’t get it to build pressure. Tried a mity-vac to pull fluid from the master cylinder NO GO. Right now it is sitting with the lever rubber banded to the grip some of the air will go to the top over night. Never had this problem before. My mity-vac always worked.
Thanks for your help

Man idk why I had a huge problem bleeding my front brake. I tried for days, I had pressure when I put my thumb over MC, had it sit for days tried a few times filling it from caliper and MC, idk why it just never felt like anything. I brought it to shop, and it came back nice and solid. Idk wtf w the front brake system and bleeding on an xs.
Looking at the posted link it may have been just that my MC was on that angle where the outlet is. I figured full that point was lower.

To add one more idea on bleeding brakes I'll give one of my methods.

The way I have had good luck when other methods gave me a problem was to install caliper on bike and hook up hose at the caliper. Then loosen the line where it attaches to the master cylinder. Then using a dedicated new pump oil can attach a hose from the pump oil can to the open bleeder on the caliper and push fluid from caliper up to the master cylinder. The good thing about doing it this way is you are pushing the fluid in the direction the air bubbles want to go.

Next hold thumb over outlet of the master and pump till clean flow of fluid comes out. The connect the line and tighten it.
Sometimes brakes are still a little soft and using a bungy cord or something to hold pressure on over night will get a much better brake feel. I think this works because the pressure on the fluid overnight encourages the air to work it's way up to the master and then when you let it off in the morning it vents out in the the reservoir.

Got them bled. Did it the opposite way used the Mity-Vac to suck it up from the caliper. I don’t have a banjo bolt at the MC. Just a fitting that screws into the MC. Thanks for all your help.
BB72C2DA-400A-4985-A099-1330DC05DE6F.jpeg

Got them bled. Did it the opposite way used the Mity-Vac to suck it up from the caliper. I don’t have a banjo bolt at the MC. Just a fitting that screws into the MC. Thanks for all your help.View attachment 189361
Is that the Brit scrambler wannabe? Pics? :geek:

The MityVac will push pressure as well as pull it (create vacuum). You just connect the hose to a different port on it. So, it can be used to push fluid up through the system from the bleed nipple.

The MityVac will push pressure as well as pull it (create vacuum). You just connect the hose to a different port on it. So, it can be used to push fluid up through the system from the bleed nipple.
Thanks I knew it would do it just sure how.

Back