Help! Convert back to battery start!

Those are not interchangeable seals. The 2 first number indicate inside and outside diameter of the seal and the 3rd indicate the thickness of the seal

Those are not interchangeable seals. The 2 first number indicate inside and outside diameter of the seal and the 3rd indicate the thickness of the seal
that's what I'm curious about. the fork seal is the same size as the seal listed for the starter reduction gear seal. the only difference is the reduction gear seal, instead of a 00 at the end of the part number it has a "306". from the pics that I compared, no difference.

Even though the fork seal may fit, I'd be worried it was not designed to live in the environment of the starter (rotating shaft).

that's what I'm curious about. the fork seal is the same size as the seal listed for the starter reduction gear seal. the only difference is the reduction gear seal, instead of a 00 at the end of the part number it has a "306". from the pics that I compared, no difference.
If it's the seal I think you are asking about I think you need to get the correct seal.
Notice it has a extra lip to seal against the starter motor. Probably the reason for the 306 at the end.
Is that extra lip necessary I do not know.
I'm sure Yamaha had a reason for it.
1703032491413.png

you guys are deep into the actual job, and this is sorta off topic...but it's also kinna kool>
Harley-Koslow Hemi Head kit and a Coffman starter. Very light weight, 12 gauge blanks Rather nifty, no battery, no electric motor...and a good machinist could probably make one that fitted to the kicker spline stub. Good luck with the actual job. & Best! 40N

That’s my point. They are both listed as 34 x 46 x 10.5. The only difference is the one listed for the case has an additional number “306” at the end of it. But the seals look identical. There is nothing that would differentiate them by their appearance and pictures.

If it's the seal I think you are asking about I think you need to get the correct seal.
Notice it has a extra lip to seal against the starter motor. Probably the reason for the 306 at the end.
Is that extra lip necessary I do not know.
I'm sure Yamaha had a reason for it.
View attachment 257869
this is depressing at the least. I have looked at so many oil seals I'm bug eyed. initially the seals I was comparing were fork seals of the same listed size and the listed part for the purpose. the 34x46x10.5-16-1016 and the 34x46x10.5-306 appear by picture to be the same. of course, all the photo's these sellers have taken don't give you a good perspective of the part! looking at the photo you posted, agreed, obvious difference. I brought up every kind of seal i could i have only found to that might possibly have the same characteristics, one is readily available,26 bucks on a chance. the other had the best photo for possible characteristics but the sites in Japanese so you know how far I got with that. I have installed the 16-1016 seal, and I must agree, I don't see how that fit will hold back oil. unless I get additional discouragement from using it, I'll see how it does, while at the same time continue looking for what is in your photo. thanks for the help.

Back