Help! Electrical/Charging issue.

Jmiller057

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I need help hunting down the issue for my electrical problem I am experiencing.

Its a 78 xs750. I know its not a 650 and I should be on a different forum, but its hard to get help/a response from people on that site.

Right now the bike is doing all kinds of weird stuff.
First, there is a charging issue. At full charge, the battery is at 12.5 volts. Key on, the multimeter reads between 12.0-12.5. Start the bike and let it idle, the volts are at 11.5-12.0. Rev the bike @2000 and the battery will never get above 13 volts and sometimes the multimeter will dip to 8 volts or even as low as 6 volts then jump back up to 11.5-12 volts. Then eventually the battery will die from me turning it off to trouble shoot then turning over the motor, then troubleshoot, start, troubleshoot some more, start, troubleshoot, then dead battery.

For some reason the headlight will only come on during a full charge, I am assuming not enough juice in the battery to keep it on when the bike is running? The horn won't work, but I know its a good working horn cause I tried it on my xs650. The flasher relay is buzzing when you hit the turn signals. I replaced the flasher relay with another one I had laying around and the new one doesn't buzz. (side note: I have no turn signals on the bike right now, could that be whats causing the buzzing?)

Things I have checked:
Rectifier Regular check with multimeter appears to be working
Grounds all seem to be good.
Connections are free of corrosion.
Checked and replaced fuses.

Any input would be great!

I took apart the stator and I am going to look into buying a new one. Any other advice would be much appreciated.

How sure are you about the reliability of your battery? Have you charged your battery overnight using a 1.5 amp or less trickle charger? If so, what did the votalge read when you removed it from the charger, 12.5 seems a fraction low for a freshly charged battery?

Did you test the AC output coming from the stator? Here's a link to a how to video

Using the electric start drains the battery, might want to use the kickstart. Also, I would remove the headlight fuse when testing.

Back