Help! How to install tachometer drive?

lopejd01

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can someone help me, I'm trying to install this tachometer and I'm not sure how to go about it. There wasnt a tach on the bike when I bought it and there was just a screw with a rubber seal around it in the tach drive hole.

I bought this tach drive but I think I'm missing some parts for getting this to work. I dont have a cable yet either. But I dont see a way it could attach to the drive without something else.

Do I need to take the cover off to install this or can I just drop it in from the top? and am I missing stuff? Manual is useless on this.

Attachments

• IMG149.jpg
    IMG149.jpg
    255.2 KB · Views: 436
  • IMG151.jpg
    IMG151.jpg
    301.7 KB · Views: 366
Don't lose the copper thrust washer on the bottom of that tach drive shaft....chances are it's still in the relief at the bottom of the engine cover.

There should also be a piece that fits into the empty bore on the case cover and is held in by a set screw, this is what the female end of the tach drive cable threads to.

I'm sure someone will post a diagram soon...

you will need everything but #9 unless PO used a spacer rather than the drive gear on the oil pump it (the drive shaft) can be installed without pullling the case but I would pull it just to make sure that there isn't a hardened steel thrust washer still floating around in the clutch... send a PM to gggary he probably has the parts you need

Attachments

• tachometer-gear-tx-xs650.PNG
    tachometer-gear-tx-xs650.PNG
    253.5 KB · Views: 1,018
Last edited:
I doubt theres a trust washer floating around in there, from what I'm told this bike has been ridden without a speedo for a long time. so since I dont absolutely have to pull the case cover off, I can just thread the drive shaft in through the top? does that mean I dont need the trust washer than since it would probably just fall off while putting it in through the top?

yes you can put in in from the top (insert gear shaft and washer then put on gear drive shaft bushing), and yes you do need the washer otherwise the spiral gear of the shaft will eat the soft alumimun case, plus lenght will be wrong and may not drive cable without it... the thrust washer can be held on to the shaft with a dab of grease for installation... use a mirror to look or feel down that hole to check if gear #9 is still there

Back