Help! I think I fried my charging system and ignition

globalmaa

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I just thought i had finished up my wiring and there was smoke coming from the reg/rec. The ground terminal on the battery got very hot and the lights were extremely dim . what the hell did i do, 3 whites to 3 whites red to 20 amp fuse black( reg/rec ) to ground, brown(reg/rec) to black (Stator) and pig tailed off to the ignition switch , green to green . is this right or did i puck it up????

XS650 75 motor ,points, after market ignition switch, reg/rec yes i used the nylon screws.. the switch is fine . when i unplugged the reg/rec from the stator the lights were bright. BAD GROUND??? i'm grasping at straws. nothing i hate worst then wiring.

Last edited:
Change your thread name to be more specific, like:

"Help! I think I fried my charging system and ignition"

What year is the bike? Is it stock? What ignition?

so i hook up my regulator/rectifier like so
3 white wires reg/rec in block to 3 white on stator.
green reg/rec in block to green on stator
red on reg/rec to positive battery
black reg/rec to negative on battery
brown on reg/rec pigtail to ignition switch and then in block to black on stator
the negative battery terminal got very hot and the brown wire at the block is melted on the reg/rec side. what did i do wrong.

Posted via Mobile

Attachments

• regulator.JPG
    regulator.JPG
    23.1 KB · Views: 115
Since we have no idea what year your bike is, I'm assuming you had the early style seperate rec/reg and you are trying to run a combined unit. You have all your wiring correct except that you did not use nylon screws to unground the black wire brush. Perhaps that is your problem.

Either a bad ground or the reg/rec is bad. On the later, 80 up, combo reg/rec I don't think the body needs a ground. But it can't hurt to have it grounded.
The way you have it wired sounds right.
From the stator the three whites to three whites on the reg/rec.
The green brush wire to the green on the reg/rec.
The black to the brown of the reg/rec and from there to power after the switch.
The red to the fuse and then battery and main switch.
The black wire on the reg/rec to ground.
The yellow wire capped off if you aren't using the safety relay.
Here is a diagram I like. It shows the early seperate reg/rec with points and also shows the later combo reg/rec with the TCI.

Attachments

• 314w9s3.jpg
    314w9s3.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 123
the bike is a 73 frame with a 75 motor the reg/rec i have no idea. and yes i ground the stator

Attachments

• wheel 169.jpg
    wheel 169.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 120
  • wheel 168.jpg
    wheel 168.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 122
the brown and black ??? should the power come off the brown or the black. right now it is off the brown before the plug. so i'm running a later combo reg/rec with points without TCI

Ok, with your combo reg/rec power after the switch goes to the brown on the reg/rec and the black brush wire. The power flows thru the brush into the rotor, out the other brush on the green wire to the reg/rec where the reg/rec grounds the green wire to make the alternator charge.
If there is a ground path at the black wire brush instead of power flowing thru the rotor it will go to ground. As in the three metal screws. You have the three nylon screws so that should be ok. As long as you did the right three screws. The thrre to change are the three that hold the brush in the holder. I think you did it right, some haven't.
I got your pm and responded to it with more info.
Leo

Okay, so I now see that you created a new thread with the suggested title.... I've merged the two threads. :cheers:

so i disconnected the white wire at the stator and now it isn't getting hot anymore. i did notice when i pulled the white wire that was attached to a spring the bare wire was sparking against the side . i removed the whole white wire with spring . is this still going to work? remember it is a 75' motor with combo reg/rec

Attachments

• wheel 171.jpg
    wheel 171.jpg
    299 KB · Views: 115
  • wheel 172.jpg
    wheel 172.jpg
    305.3 KB · Views: 101
  • wheel 173.jpg
    wheel 173.jpg
    289.7 KB · Views: 133
Last edited:
Your colors are messed up - you need to trace the wires themselves and ignore the colors. Since there was smoke coming out of the reg/rect, it's fairly certainly destroyed; it's potted in epoxy and the epoxy would have to crack for it to smoke.

now i'm confused the wires i was told by XSLEO were correct just a bad ground.
the smoke actually came from the brown wire on the reg/rec. not the reg/rec itself.

What xsLeo told you is correct, but in your pictures I see a white wire going to the rotor. The only white wires should be to the stator.

otoh - you have a mix of hardware there that I'm not familiar with. Somebody will be able to help you with it better than I, now that you have pictures.

the white wire you took off looks like it has been soldered to the brushes then grounded on the stater. That would have negated the 3 nylon screws used to stop the ground and caused the short through the Reg/Ret

ok forgive me but i hate wiring for this reason and it frustrates me . the white wire in the last pic should be off now right or wrong? or please tell me what to do next.

I'm not the wiring expert. Observed that from your two first pics. XSleo will confirm if i am right/wrong. I do know i don't have that wire soldered to the points on my bike

Ok, looking at your picture right under leo's schematic, what you had looks partially correct to me. The black wire is going to the brush, and the little white wire from it is a pigtail going to ground, which is fine. BUT - that would be for the old style regulator not the reg/rect

The lower pictures, you have a white wire going to the other brush, which is confusing - it should be green. I believe a nylon screw should be on that wire. The black wire shouldn't go to ground with the reg/rect. So remove the little white jumper. Like I said, it's different from mine. Wait for leo to show back up in an hour or two :)

Back