Help identify what year these carbs are

Chizel

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Well, I have searched the web, this forum, and all over these carbs & I am not getting too far. I have a set of mystery year carbs I plan to rebuild, but I am not sure what year they are, so not sure what rebuild kits to get. I know the obvious, that they are 38's, but the only numbers I can find anywhere are on the body near the float bowls that read what looks like "1E1-00", but the 1's could be poor 7's, hard to say really. From these numbers though, I can't seem to locate any hard info other than one site that was questionable that said they might be 76's. Here are a few pics, if anyone can help a rookie out & shed some light, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
038-1.jpg

039.jpg

Your carbs appear to me to be BS 38's type I or 584 type characteristic of the
1976 or 77 model years. Pictured below is some reference photos for comparison and some chart information with notes to consider.

Looks like the enrichener circuit (choke) lever is missing and that the CV diaphragm slides are stuck open.

You'll want to thoroughly familiarize yourself with the great information available here on site from carb manual as you'll
have a lot to do or have done in cleaning and rebuilding them correctly. Best, Blue

Attachments

• 584 BS 38 I front - rear.jpg
    584 BS 38 I front - rear.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 769
  • 584 BS 38 I perspective.jpg
    584 BS 38 I perspective.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 717
  • Scan_Doc0011.pdf
    681.7 KB · Views: 218
  • Scan_Doc0013.pdf
    654.6 KB · Views: 202
I am with BBB on 76-77 they are linked and have the external float bowl vent tubes. To free the slides use heat not pressure. A hair dryer pointed through the bore for a few minutes with the throttle shaft wedged open will normally free the slides. When disassembled carefully note jet and orifice markings.
With the amount of dirt present I think new throttle shaft seals should be considered mandatory. Check throttle shaft free play if the shafts are loose in the bodies keep looking for a carb set to use. Any up and down play you can feel on the throttle shafts is probably too much

Thanks for the input guys. The slides do move freely, the one just does not return fully. I have a box of carb parts that came with the bike so I will have a look for the missing choke rod. As for the throttle shafts, they seem tight, I can't feel any movement at all, but I will order the seals as you mentioned. Thanks.

Along with the lever you will need the screw, a stepped washer and a "wavy" tension washer(the hardest part to find in this assembly).

Ahh, sold as an assembly, excellent! Thanks Blue. So I got carb kits, butterfly seals, choke assembly, diaphragms from JBM, anything else I should replace when I rebuild these?

Spend some thoughtful time in the Carb Guide prepared by grizld1 and 5twins two stellar gurus's of this and other sites.....

http://www.amckayltd.com/carbguide.pdf

And as some say...."Read it till your eyes bleed". Along the way you'll undoubtedly discover some other minor needs.....a buggered jet here, a stripped bolt there, probably some shot rubber o-rings, possibly even the need for new CV slide diaphragms but; let all those things develop from what you learn as you go. Pay a lot of attention to the fit of screwdrivers and tools to the soft aluminum and brass. Don't hurry. Ask as need be...
lot's of good guys to help but do get familiar with the guide, your carbs and the terminology. BOL...Blue

Pry those plastic caps off the mix screws and discard them. They limit the adjustment range. Replace the left front screw on the carb top with a slightly longer one. Yamaha used one that is too short with that bracket mounted there. It only catches a couple threads and is easily stripped.

Back