Help im new to the 650! (forks, year)

skervey35

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Hey guys Iv been lurking around for a little while looking and learning. Iv got the 650's little brother a 77 XS400. Iv rebuilt it from a pile of junk to a runner and im finishing it up now. I also have a 73 SL350 it sat for 9 years but its running well and not far from being road worthy again. lastly I got a 73 RD350 it had sat for 20 years in a damp basement so the top-end was froze but now its apart and waiting on its turn to be rebuilt.

So the story starts out with the 73 Honda SL350 oddly enough. I got it for cheap with a title and then freshened it up. Pulled motor and sandblasted and repainted the frame and everything else on the bike (except the tank and headlight) I was going to resell the bike so I thought I would leave that to the next owner as far as the tank color and over all style. But I found a grate guy who works on tirumps 50-60's stuff. Talking with him he told me he had a 72-73 XS650 sitting in the back that he wanted to let go since he had little interested in a jap bike for himself. The bike is a runner and tittle but ugly! Witch works in my favor for price! Its been setting since the 90's but has little to no rust. Someone must have thought they wanted a chopper so they through on a longer set of forks and a sissy bar. But the bike did have some had bags witch is a plus since I want to tour with the bike if I do get my hands on it. (im sending him pic of my SL350 as a trade)

So here is where I want to get some input!

1. What is going on with the forks?? are they stock, after market, or some crazy swap job?

2. Is the fork rake stock? (does it look like anyone has added some rake for the chopper look, to me it looks stock and the welds on the head tube look like they are from Yamaha)

3. What year? 71-72-73

4. Can anyone tell if its a kick only? He said it came stock with kick start only witch would make it an XS-1 or XS-1B (I don't know what to look for as far as an electric start goes. I would like the fact of it being a kick only!)

(sry for the tight pic he had it in a line of bikes)
IMG_1132_zpsa82d3bc6.jpg

IMG_1134_zps1b1221b7.jpg

IMG_1136_zps3c33a742.jpg

IMG_1135_zps2f88900b.jpg

Forks look to be extended, buyyyy heaps. Front end is an XS1 or 1B and so is the engine , ( you need to read the Engine and frame no's to determine if it is an XS1 or XS1B). Tappet cover front left looks to be the 3 stud, meaning it is kick start only.

Tins are from a 73 TX650, tank is anyhow and the paint is 73TX650.

Link to ID thread Your vin no's are on the head of the frame and front of the motor behind the engine mount. Should start with the prefix S650-###### and 6 no's

... Front end is an XS1 or 1B and so is the engine , ( you need to read the Engine and frame no's to determine if it is an XS1 or XS1B). Tappet cover front left looks to be the 3 stud, meaning it is kick start only.

Yessir, early one! The unbooted forks and enduro front fender strut ears scream XS1B! Other giveaways are the bevelled plastic bezel trim on the instruments, and the diagonal screw pattern on the right side oil filter cover...

Thanks for the help guys! I tried to get a pic of the vin but couldn't get the cables out of the way to get a shot of them.

So it looks like a bit of a mitch match of parts on the bike. Im not going original so its no big deal to me.

Now just for the future do you all think that someone will trade me a set of stock fork tubes,forks for the set I have? I know the xs650 are big time choppers and bobbers so im hopping I can swap parts from a guy who is going from stock to extended.

Back