Help installing billet top triple clamp

XSFazz

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hey guys,

My billet top triple clamp came from Mostyn industries. Very nice piece! I already swapped the ignition switch over to it, and about to mount the gauges, but it doesn't look like it's going to fit! The stock triple clamp rises up in the center whereas this one is flat, so is there a way for me to adjust the fork tubes so they slide up into the clamp? I don't know anything about this but I have seen a few guys running a billet top clamp on the stock XS frontend so just trying to see what to do here.

IMG_0192_2_zpsdde25c57.jpg

IMG_0193_2_zps59c29f82.jpg

IMG_0194_zps4b21e9c2.jpg

Any help is appreciated!!!

Yup make sure the bike is on the centerstand or otherwise supported, loosen the lower triple clamp bolts and slide the tubes up till they are flush in your new upper triple. You now have a lower stance in the front, hope that is going to be OK, one of those oops "didn't I mention that" moments by a seller?

Gary, you have to be one of the most helpful, knowledgeable members on any forum I've ever been on. Thank you!!! Now I just have to find these lower triple clamp bolts. I don't mind a lower stance in the front, and I suppose I could always even it out with shorter shocks in the rear, right?

You can use shorter shocks but many here claim the bike handles better "a bit ass end high"..... Gotta watch how far down you go in front, at some not very low point the stock fender will contact the bottom of the lower triple.

Hm. I completely removed those bolts from each side and still unable to slide the tubes up. Am I missing something?

Bike is currently jacked up in the front, but I'm not sure why I had to jack it up in order to slide the tubes up.. Seems it would be easier if the wheel was on the ground and I could just push down..

tap a flat blade screw driver in the slot to open up the clamp. Don't go crazy hammering on it. it wont take much to get it open. Make sure you torque those bolts back to spec. You do have a proper torque wrench rite?

I sure do! What do they need to be torqued to? I will try the screw driver method in a few. Thanks man!!!

its a good idea to have the front on a jack, because when you loosen those bolts, the front will fall very quickly, and get out of hand very fast.
Loosen the bolts, tap in screw drivers in slots, and lower the jack.

Hm. I completely removed those bolts from each side and still unable to slide the tubes up. Am I missing something?
Bike is currently jacked up in the front, but I'm not sure why I had to jack it up in order to slide the tubes up.. Seems it would be easier if the wheel was on the ground and I could just push down..

Hi Fazz,
the jack goes under the frame at the front to control how far the fork tubes slide.
Or else once they start to slide they will want to slide all the way.
Note that lowering the front reduces the effective frame rake which in turn reduces the steering trail which quickens the steering.
Judging by the clip-ons that's a bonus effect for you?
BTW, the photo shows you are still running stock fabric reinforced brake lines.
Swapping to stainless lines really improves the brakes.

Another thing that can help is having a rubber or leather strap wrench. Sometimes on these older bikes corrosion can cause the tubes to "lock" into the lower clamp. Loosen the pinch bolt, give the lower tree a little tap in the slot like recommended, and wrap a strap wrench around it if it won't move to work it loose. :thumbsup:

if the tubes don't want to move in the triple; loosen the axle and fender brace if they move then, you have to find out what's binding (out of alignment) down there. Hate to mention but could be bent tube(s)

It might be easier if you remove the front wheel and fork brace. This way you are working with just one fork at a time and not fighting the weight of the other fork and wheel.
Leo

Hey guys just realized I never updated this!!

So I got it installed, I just had to muscle the tubes up a little bit into the clamp. Really happy with the result. I will take some pics once I get home and get the cover off the bike. It's been shitty and cold in NJ lately..

Thanks again for all your help guys! You all are super helpful and really inspire me to do more of my own work. I am learning a ton on here.

Back