Help me choose a good coil for my chop...

Snikare

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I'm building a chopper from a '79 special. I just put in a HHB PMA and the motor has the original points. I'll be keeping the points until I can really tear into the motor for a full rebuild. In the mean time I need to set up the remainder of the ignition. I'm trying to figure out what kind of coil I can install. I'd like a single coil with two outputs. I've been told that any coil at 3 or more ohm will work fine. Anyone know the details of what I need? Most coils come in pairs. Am I looking at the wrong ones? Will any coil work with the original points ignition? And be okay when I upgrade to a Pamco?

Thanks for help.

mikes xs sell's this to do what you want;Dual Lobe point Cam. Fits: Stock XS650 1970-84 point ignitions.

Cam is used to convert stock dual contact ignition systems to run with a single
contact point set (using a single dual output ignition coil).

Note: Play in the cam rod to cam bushings will make it difficult to get both
cylinder's to fire exactly at the same point. It may be necessary to split the
difference and timing may end up a few degrees off one side to the other.

Erratic or shifting ignition timing may also be caused by a worn out cam chain.
Always adjust your cam chain tension before setting the ignition timing.

You could use coil #17-6822 that Mikesxs sells. It has 4.5 ohm primary and will work with points, and with a Pamco if you change over later. Its not recommended to use coils, with less tha 4 ohms primary, when using points.

You can continue to use the stock single lobe points cam with the #17-6822. To do this you need to connect both sets of points together in parallel. Both sets of points are wired to one terminal of the coil. Also, disconnect one of the condensers, so you run with one condenser only.

Awesome. I had no idea what was involved. Looks like the new lobe for the ignition cam is the proper way to go right? And, it's not very involved for an install.. I've heard about a lot of problems with MikesXS coils. I was thinking about using something like this for a coil. It says it works with Points or Electric ignitions. Any thoughts?

Awesome. I had no idea what was involved. Looks like the new lobe for the ignition cam is the proper way to go right? And, it's not very involved for an install.. I've heard about a lot of problems with MikesXS coils. I was thinking about using something like this for a coil. It says it works with Points or Electric ignitions. Any thoughts?

Yes, the Dyna coil should work just fine.

No, there is no need to replace your stock single lobe ignition cam. Read what I said in my last post................it applies to the Dyna coil as well.

So I can do that with this coil too? I get running them in parallel. It makes sense and is why I was hoping to be able to do a single coil in the first place... Electrical is my least favorite and weakest subject though. I'm not sure what the condensers do, but will it have any negative effect running on only one?

So I can do that with this coil too? I get running them in parallel. It makes sense and is why I was hoping to be able to do a single coil in the first place... Electrical is my least favorite and weakest subject though. I'm not sure what the condensers do, but will it have any negative effect running on only one?

I just told you in the last post that the Dyna coil will work with points, so why are you asking again?

Condensers (capacitors) prevent excessive arcing of the points, so as to decrease wear/pitting.

When running 2 coils, with 2 sets of points, each set of points must have a condenser across it. When you use only one coil, with 2 sets of points, only 1 condenser is used because the single condenser is connected at the common junction point of the 2 condensers. The single condenser is doing the job that 2 condensers did before. There is no negative to using just one condenser.

I just told you in the last post that the Dyna coil will work with points, so why are you asking again?

I reiterated the question only to be sure. I had no intention to aggravate you...! But I think I was quite clear that Electrical is not my strong suit... I'd rather be sure, than to buy $60 dollar parts on the word of a a guy I met on a forum, and then end up frying those parts. No offense to you, you obviously know a lot more about electrical than me, and that's why I'm here asking for input.

Given your response I thank you even more for humoring me and clarifying the further lack of ignition knowledge on my part. As I continue to state: I'm very appreciative for all the kind help and thoughtful knowledge, along with experience that is being shared here. Please remember to bare with those who don't have the experience you do. That's what forums are for... I hope I can help you when/if you are in need of something in my field of expertise.

I also did some more searching to find out just what you were talking about. I have come across, with your help, a good solution to what I need to accomplish. Thank you again for your help. :thumbsup:

I reiterated the question only to be sure. I had no intention to aggravate you...! But I think I was quite clear that Electrical is not my strong suit... I'd rather be sure, than to buy $60 dollar parts on the word of a a guy I met on a forum, and then end up frying those parts. No offense to you, you obviously know a lot more about electrical than me, and that's why I'm here asking for input.

Given your response I thank you even more for humoring me and clarifying the further lack of ignition knowledge on my part. As I continue to state: I'm very appreciative for all the kind help and thoughtful knowledge, along with experience that is being shared here. Please remember to bare with those who don't have the experience you do. That's what forums are for... I hope I can help you when/if you are in need of something in my field of expertise.

I also did some more searching to find out just what you were talking about. I have come across, with your help, a good solution to what I need to accomplish. Thank you again for your help. :thumbsup:

There was no aggravation at all. I'm glad to help out any way that I can. I won't give any advice unless I'm 100% sure its correct.

If you need more info, just ask. Once you get the new coil wired up, be sure to reply to this thread, so we all know you had success. (Many lads come to the site for advice, but never return again................a bit like reading a book and the last 10 pages have been ripped out).:bike:

I don't plan on going anywhere. I'll post how it goes as soon it's done.

Thanks again.

Back