Help! My carbs are out of the holders, and I'm running out of ideas!

ObiWonKaTobey

XS650 Awesome Member
Reaction score
1974 XS650B
I am a relatively new bike owner and I picked up my darling a couple months ago, this is either a new occurrence or I didn't notice this at the time of purchase (probably the latter). The carbs are not in the carb holders. I've taken the seals off of the holders and tried to push the carbs back in to no avail. I believe the issue is a warped frame but I'm running out of ideas.
Here's a picture of the carb/carb hold when everything on the bike is securely fastened.
20110710222613.jpg

You have to loosen the hose clamp on the holder and then lube things up with WD40 or something before the carb will push back in. Even then, it can be hard to get them in, especially if the holders are old and hard. I assume you haven't read the carb guide or done any other sort of research on the subject. Too bad, that probably would have helped you fix it.

Cute. So anyway, disregarding the part where I said this is probably due to a warped frame, those responses would have solved the issue. However, since the carbs don't physically go any further forward, lubed or not, I'm not sure if there's a longer aftermarket carb holder or another solution that I haven't thought of.

If the metal cage that surrounds the rubber holders is bent, you wont be able to get them on either. They are easy to remove, just take the 2 allen bolts out, and remove the rubber holder/cage as a unit. Once they are out check for bend, if any fix them, then you can warm the rubber holders with a space heater something similar... warming them makes them softer and therefore easier to install the carbs. (use lube also, and warm them only, there only rubber)

If they are still connected to the airboxes... this will makes things more difficult.

Its your first post, relax, take a breath. Then go get a better picture so we can see more of whats going on. (further away)

Ooh I didn't think of the metal caging being bent. I had taken the bolts out of both of the airboxes and tried to push everything forward, but it makes the airboxes so far forward that I couldn't bolt them back in. I'll get a better picture of the issue up for tomorrow. Thanks for the actual help and some clearer insight.

ok dude. i'm going to help you fix this, but you're going to have to do exactly what i say, with no exceptions.

STEP 1.

first thing's first. take some gas, just a small amount, and throw it on the carbs. then take a hammer and hit the carbs a few times. not that pussy derek jeter shit; i mean really smash those suckers. then take a match, throw it on the carbs, and slowly and quietly walk away.

STEP 2.

get into your ford windstar mini van, head down to the super market, get yourself some marshmallows, chocolate, and some graham crackers. oh, and a half gallon of 2 percent organic milk - this is important, because whole milk is too fatty, and non-organic milk is full of all types of fucked up steroids and hormones.

STEP 3.

return home, kiss your wife, and return to the garage. your carbs and what ever bends were in the cage should be about sorted out by now. so what you gotta do is go into your neighbor's yard and cut down a tree.. any tree. just make sure you cut down the whole tree. after you fell the tree, pick a branch about 3 feet long and about a half inch thick. before leaving, spit on the tree... yell at it also.

STEP 4.

return to the garage. the carbs should be the least of your worries by now. reach into the bag of marshmallows, pull out 2.. not one, not three - two. then proceed to roast the marshmallows over the open flame... after they turn golden brown (BUT NOT ABLAZE!) take them from the stick, lay them between two pieces of graham cracker with some chocolate, and enjoy your s'more.

STEP 5.

Take a nap.

Step 6.

Profit. Mission accomplished.

Cute. So anyway, disregarding the part where I said this is probably due to a warped frame, those responses would have solved the issue. However, since the carbs don't physically go any further forward, lubed or not, I'm not sure if there's a longer aftermarket carb holder or another solution that I haven't thought of.

Are you fucking serious? Maxwell is spot on, burn the motherfucker down if you can't figure out how to mount carbs.

OKWT, Since the carbs are loose anyway, do a full cleaning of them. Reassemble.Remove the airboxes. Loosen the clamps of the carb manifolds..a lot. Get some WD-40 or silicone spay/jell and apply to the rubber part of the manifold. Do not use any oil as that will ruin the manifold. line the carbs up to the manifolds and push and wiggle up and down and push some more. Do this to both sides equally. After its seated( have some faith) fully, then tighten the clamps. Reinstall airboxes and tighten those clamps and bolts. Do any other planned maint (like camchain adjustment, valve clearance,oil change, etc) and clean up and go for a ride.

didnt you read azman? he needs a longer carb holders because his frame is warped, " since the carbs don't physically go any further forward ",not sound advice on how to actually install carbs

Gentlemen... lets cut the guy some slack. Sounds like he might be having a bad day or something. He shouldn't take out his frustration on the people trying to help him, but lets give him the benefit of the doubt before we burn him at the stake.

true, im down to give him another shot. I like to bust balls anyways so dont take it too seriously. He needs to forget what he is thinking about the problem, and listen to what the rest of us have to say before acting like he knows everything already. we are here to help, and to bust balls when needed:)

ok dude. i'm going to help you fix this, but you're going to have to do exactly what i say, with no exceptions.

STEP 1.

first thing's first. take some gas, just a small amount, and throw it on the carbs. then take a hammer and hit the carbs a few times. not that pussy derek jeter shit; i mean really smash those suckers. then take a match, throw it on the carbs, and slowly and quietly walk away.

STEP 2.

get into your ford windstar mini van, head down to the super market, get yourself some marshmallows, chocolate, and some graham crackers. oh, and a half gallon of 2 percent organic milk - this is important, because whole milk is too fatty, and non-organic milk is full of all types of fucked up steroids and hormones.

STEP 3.

return home, kiss your wife, and return to the garage. your carbs and what ever bends were in the cage should be about sorted out by now. so what you gotta do is go into your neighbor's yard and cut down a tree.. any tree. just make sure you cut down the whole tree. after you fell the tree, pick a branch about 3 feet long and about a half inch thick. before leaving, spit on the tree... yell at it also.

STEP 4.

return to the garage. the carbs should be the least of your worries by now. reach into the bag of marshmallows, pull out 2.. not one, not three - two. then proceed to roast the marshmallows over the open flame... after they turn golden brown (BUT NOT ABLAZE!) take them from the stick, lay them between two pieces of graham cracker with some chocolate, and enjoy your s'more.

STEP 5.

Take a nap.

Step 6.

Profit. Mission accomplished.

hahaha, being at work on monday morning sucks.. this just made my day better

Great news everyone, the carbs aren't in, but, these. smores. are. incredible. The neighbors kind of pissed though.

So I apologize for not properly explaining the issue as I'm sure this is what is causing confusion.

Before I bought the bike it was in a low-speed accident that I assume has warped the frame of the bike slightly.

Now, when the airboxes are securely fastened in the spots where there are threads for the bolts to put them into, the carbs will not move forward any further, as they are inside of the airboxes.

When the airboxes are removed and the carbs are already in, the airbox is a good half-inch/inch out of place.

I do appreciate the help and the other amusement you guys can provide.

You got the cart in front of the horse, my man. Your first step is to strip the frame and inspect it. There's no point getting that thing to run if it's likely to kill you.

Maybe you're missing some parts? The carbs don't stick directly into the airboxes, they connect to them with small rubber tubes or boots. Do you have those?

Yes, frames can get bent in an accident but the area you're talking about is the main frame backbone. It would probably take much more than a minor accident to bend up that area.

Back