Help! My carbs are out of the holders, and I'm running out of ideas!

OP are you familiar with Yamahas online schematics?
If not use the link and drop down menu for motorcycle/1974/TX650A/intake tx650a and xs650b.
It will show all the bits and pieces that should be there.
The way I read you though is that all the parts are there and the motor and air boxes are too close together.
If this IS the case better listen to Griz.
And as shotgunjoe mentioned a picture of the whole situation would enable us to see what you are seeing.
Good Luck.
http://www.yamaha-motor.com/partviewer/default.aspx?)

Alright so I was definitely wrong about the warped frame (which I am beyond happy to say the least) the issue was both seals and o-rings from the carbs to airboxes have failed and the carbs were pushed so far into the airboxes that I thought they belonged there. I've pushed the forward and tightened them like nobodies business in the front until i can get the parts. Thanks for the help everyone, and especially to 5twins and shotgunjoe.

You the man Obi, Welcome to the nuthatch! Take those intake spigots off, clean em up real nice, straighten the metal holders, check for any cracking in the rubber. (these are near 40 year old parts) replace if needed or polish the metal. It's all stainless steel.
Pic is a later model but these holders were worse than yours when I started. Wirewheel, then buffing wheel/compound.
sIIcarbs 001 (800x600) (2).jpg
You might want to go to pods unless you are on the restoration trail.
Wow gggGary said THAT?

Gary, I don't have any attachment to the restoration trail. I'd prefer something that works better, so I'll look into pods.

Yamakazi, that's definitely something I'm going to need.

Thanks for the great advice guys.

Pods are not perfect, I have heard a few horror stories of guys caught riding in the rain with pods. When the pods get wet it is just like putting on the choke the engine floods because excessive restriction causes a vacuum which really richens the mixture, Ouch!

This can be cured by having some rain shielding for the pods, behind the stock side covers???

JBM does make all three styles of spigots, my bad. 74 is angled anyways?

Last edited:
:cheers: Way to have a sense of humor this time around Obi. These guys will teach you how to fly that bike to the moon if your patient and courteous. :laughing:

Pods are not perfect, I have heard a few horror stories of guys caught riding in the rain with pods. When the pods get wet it is just like putting on the choke the engine floods because excessive restriction causes a vacuum which really richens the mixture, Ouch!

This can be cured by having some rain shielding for the pods, behind the stock side covers???

I'm glad you mentioned that Gary. There seems to be a general mindset that anything that is stock OEM (such as airboxes) must be crap and avoided at all cost. When guys throw out the airboxes and put on pods, I wonder have they ever driven a properly tuned stock bike??

Note the groove around the part of the carb that wouldn't go in. There's a corresponding "male" ring inside the boot that fits into there. It holds the carb in really tight when the outer ring is clamped down. I usually rub a tiny bit of grease around there to let it slip in easy. Glad you got it figgered out.

Note the groove around the part of the carb that wouldn't go in. There's a corresponding "male" ring inside the boot that fits into there. It holds the carb in really tight when the outer ring is clamped down. I usually rub a tiny bit of grease around there to let it slip in easy. Glad you got it figgered out.

Exactly, and you can quite literally "feel" it when the carbs seat properly, especially when they're greased a little bit. You may have noticed that. And in case you ever have to change a seal, Obi (clutch pushrod, crankshaft, main output), the same principle applies there; the seals have a circumferential retaining bead that mates with the corresponding case surfaces.

TC

Shotgunjoe, I had been screwing around with it all day yesterday when I had responded and wasn't really in the mood to deal with... anything. Haha. P.s. I took her for a ride today and wow. Sounds and performs better than when I got it. 8)

Been there Obi. Thats why I wanted to give you the benefit of doubt. I have temper issues... done anger management. I 'try' to avoid the forums when I feel that way, with so many opinions flying around, things can go sideways fast.

Glad you got her running good, thats what we're all here for. Support for our love of these bikes. Keep us on track when we feel defeated. Inspiration.

Now... thats out of the way, LETS SEE PICS OF THE FRICKIN BIKE ASSHOLE! :laughing:

Obi, seriously, think about this, if your frame had been warped or bent enough that the carbs would not fit, it would have been bent enough as to be unsafe and not be usable. Welcome to the board and enjoy your classic bike.

Alrighty, alrighty, I know you're all dying to see my baby :)
I've taken off the fairing and the sissy bar since I've had it so this is the most up-to-date picture of her;

cimg1105e.jpg

Posted via Mobile

Congrats, ObiWon. IMO the C-model tank had the best looking graphics of the whole series, and it looks like you found a really nice sample! Re. pods, the only effective way I've found to keep them dry is Outerwears rain covers on K&N's--a Google search will turn them up. But with vacuum lifted slides (which I don't use), tuning for pods involves compromises. IMO you're better off retaining the stock air box.

Griz, I must say I like to looks of the purely classic stock bike, however I think I'm going to do my own custom art on the tank and the airboxes. As an artist, I think I have to stick with the airboxes to avoid giving up canvas space... that and some of the other benefits are appealing.

Back