Help On Choosing Build Order

Rev D

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Soooo,
I'm starting to amass parts, some sweet finds and some long processes, but I'm starting to get to a place where I can really make a mess of it:D
Here's my list of broad things I want to do:
brat rear frame kit
new tins (custom rear, reworked front, illusive gas tank)
rebuild engine completely
Complete rewiring of bike
pamco pete ignition
strator swap

So should i do the frame work and sort out the tins and everything first, or do the engine and the accompanying peripheries first. I realize I should leave the electrics alone until I am done welding up the frame, but do I want to leave the engine in til after I am done the frame, or engine first?

It might not matter but I don't want to get to far into it and find a bunch of reasons to hate myself:)

Thanks all.

Do the frame first... make it a roller. With the motor assembled you can finalize the project before tearing it down to , chrome, paint, poweder etc. The engine can be rebuild at any time and after the chassis is complete you know everything fits, exhaust , carbs, etc. Really, after modifying the frame, you want to mock up everything then you know it will all go back together properly after.

After frame do the wiring (again with the engine in)...

The stator swap and Pamco ignition can be done after the motor comes out if you want.

I used a TC Bros hard tail kit, so really, I know the motor etc will fit back in. But now I have make a custom exhaust mount (muffler side).. get a smaller petcock (tank is close to the cylinder head) and change the rear fender completely. Guess who didnt mock up first?

I might also have to raise the bars a touch to clear the gas tank at full lock. (Switch controls are OE type in chrome)...

Don't know.
Thinking of getting a two piece tank off of a Harley, and then welding the necessary hangers and brackets to the frame.
I am resisting the urge to get a peanut tank (lots of those out there) and a wassel seems like too little range, but I do like the way it looks.
So don't really know yet.
Input welcome.

Back