help on finding this hard to find part. picture included.

deluxerux

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your help would be much appreciated. I cannot find this replacement part for the life of me anywhere. This is an internal piece of the 34mm forks. Broke during rebuild. I can't even find some 34mm complete forks unless GGGary has a set he'd be willing to part with.

Thanks guys.

Attachments

• 20141209_201223.jpg
    20141209_201223.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 280
If you can't find one, you could make one.
Turn the diameters on a piece of round barstock.
Hand file the notches.
Part off to length.

Is it part #11 on this 35mm parts sheet? Don't see anything like that on the 34mm parts list.

Attachments

• XS650E-F-FrontFork.jpg
    XS650E-F-FrontFork.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 209
Going by the thread, with the pic of your avatar in it, and if its the bike you got off ggGary then being a 78 it will be a set of 35mm forks

yeah give a pic of a lower so we know for sure what forks you have.

IIRC and that's a long stretch, this was a 77 frame with a 75 engine...

It had extended forks when you got it?
I had two bikes from one guy, 75 and 77 the engines had been swapped when one died

Hmmm. Maybe I am wrong on it being the 34mm then. I'll get a picture of the lower when I get home tonight. Thanks for the help so far guys.

That appears to be the spring-loaded ring from the bottom of a '77 fork tube, in the center of this pic .....

TubeBottoms.jpg

You will have trouble finding that. The '77 tubes were a one year only item. The parts pictured above don't come out of any of the later tubes, they're crimped in place. In fact, I'm not even sure the parts crimped into the later tubes are the same. I think your best bet would be to search for a bent or badly rusted and pitted '77 tube to scrounge the part from.

Well I didn't get the picture up of the bottom but thanks 5twins...that sucks on my part. Did those only come in a 34 or 35? Just trying to figure out exactly what I have and go from there.

I have parts on my bike from so many years that it's kinda hard to keep track of it all. Haha

I don't think that's the same part. I think that is probably the bakelite ring found on the damper rod tops .....

BeveledHoles2.jpg

'77 was the first year of the 35mm forks and they differ slightly from all the later ones. Besides being able to remove the collection of little parts from the fork tube bottoms, the damper rods, springs, and top caps differed.

I bet you are right. I didn't read the description just copied and pasted the number for line 11. Which does say piston ring now that I read it. Do all four parts (the cup,spring,ring and barrel) comprise to make one part? If so would that be considered the piston or part #8?

Attachments

• 77 forks.jpg
    77 forks.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 184
  • 77 fork part list.jpg
    77 fork part list.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 203
Last edited:
WER, yes, I think it is part #8, the piston. The '77 fork drawing isn't very good. The damper rods don't look much like the drawing. Their tops are very different and the bottoms have a separate aluminum cup just like the later rods.

Looking at some of the other model's diagrams from the cross reference list, the TZ750 racer actually shows the bushing (or "piston" as Yamaha calls it) on the damper rod .....

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Yamaha/Motorcycle/1977/TZ750D/FRONT FORK/parts.html

I found it on the '78 RD400E with the same parts numbers as the '77D.
The schematic for the 400 places the circlip under the piston where it should be, not on top or further inside like the '77 D's does.

Measure the diameter of the upper tubes. This measurement is what siz4e the forks are. If you measure 34 mm, then they are 34 mm. If 35 mm then they are 35 mm.
Leo

Back