Help reading plugs...

Rlauchard

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
So...these plugs have very little time on them...no riding, just start/idle for no more than 5 minutes at a time.

The bike starts well with full choke...after about 20 seconds, go to half choke...after about 20 seconds...no choke...couple throttle pulls, then she'll sit there on idle fine.

Plugs are black (see pic)...but so is the internal electrode and 1/2 of the ground electrode.

Is this thin, is this lean...what should I try next?

Attachments

• photo(6).JPG
    photo(6).JPG
    12.2 KB · Views: 206
Thanks weekend....that was a cool/helpful read.

So, I'm running the autolite 63 with a gap of about .037. That sounds like middle of the road hot/cold.

So, I'm running rich...since I'm running rich and seemingly at idle, I'm going to decrease my pilot size back to the stock 42.5 instead of the 45 that's in there and see what that does.

hard_y_rd,

My reading is black plugs at idle (plus the throttle pull for rev/startup, etc).

I assumed if 'golden brown' is the preferred color, that starting in idle and making sure it doesn't change to black is a good way to 'get to brown'. Am I thinking about this wrong? If I go to black off idle, it won't clean itself right? So I thought I have to find some baseline here.

Thanks for the help.

With the bigger pilot you should try 1 3/4 turns on the mixture screws. You should be able reduce the amount of fuel with the screws. You really can't tune your carbs sitting on the stand.

Your use of the choke for starting is probably responsible for some (if not all) of that plug blackening. If your only mod is pods and no exhaust change, then maybe your jets are too big. In order for your pods to flow more in, you need an exhaust that will flow more out.

Well then, maybe it is the choke use. You really need to run the bike down the road a few miles to burn the plugs clean after starting with the choke.

So it will burn them clean? I just assumed...black is black.

OK...well...it will be a bit of time :)...i need some shocks and need to hook the brakes up and put a chain on..then I'll get 'r done.

Thanks again...I'll update this thread as I figure it out.

The plugs are black because they are covered with carbon. They are covered with carbon because they did not get hot enough to burn the carbon off. Ride the bike! The BS 34 is jetted slightly lean from the factory so a bit larger idle jet isn't a problem.

I remove 'choke' as quickly as possible. I believe you have an idle speed adjust screw on the left side? Twist this with your fingers to increase idle speed when the engine is cold. I forced a plastic tire valve cap over the screw head to act as a knob.

An air cooled motorcycle engine should not sit idling too long because it does not have air flow to cool it. Very bad. Put a fan in front if the engine needs to run while stationary.

Tom

Thanks Tom...Columbus eh? We moved to Marietta 2 years ago...used to live in Hilliard.

I want to ride...trust me...just finishing up the basic necessities. A couple more paychecks and a little bit more time and I'll get back on it. Expecting our third child here on Friday...so that puts a small dent in garage time!

Hey Ohio people. I'm over in Hilliard.

I also have an '81 with Uni filters and shorties. I am still about a week away from starting the reassembly phase of my build so tuning is just around the corner. Good luck.

Been riding the girl around...finally! Went out for about a 30 mile ride...she got HOT HOT HOT!

I think I had a bit of oil coming from the tappet covers and that was causing some smoke...but it really is riding nice.

So..here are the plugs...they are white...I don't see much difference between the two, but I feel like this might be a little lean. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    47.8 KB · Views: 206
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    45 KB · Views: 235
Todays gas doesn't color plugs as readily, quickly, or as much as the old leaded fuels did. You may never see brown plugs and instead, be dealing with shades of gray. What you're seeing may be normal. Where you need to look is at the base of the porcelain, down inside the threaded section. You want to see a ring of color down there, extending up the porcelain maybe 1/3 of the way at most. This is called the "smoke" or "mixture" ring .....

SmokeRing.jpg

If you see none, the bottom area being all white just like the top in your pics, then maybe you are too lean.

Thanks 5Twins...so ignorant question #546...how do I get the plug apart to look at that area? I'm pretty good at tearing shit down, but can't figure that out.

You may have to tune by the seat of your pants instead of the color of the plugs? 5twins to the rescue again. Dig out your copy of the carb guide and reread his cause and effect for lean and rich conditions. It helps to have enough jets that you can experience a really rich condition.

Crap, I must have misunderstood. I thought I was recommended to use the Autolite AP63 after I made the mistake of buying the BPR-7EIX when I had resistor caps, but I have the stock coil.

Do I need to get another set?

edit: Well I guess non-resistor caps would make better sense.

Back